smiffy
2011-12-12T18:58:11Z
Hi all,

Have any of you owners of a MK3 S22, got a tiller pilot fitted? I haven't tried fitting mine yet, but the locker lid looks a bit close to the tiller, and as I am fitting a tiller extension, I can't easily mount it on top of the tiller.

Photos would be good[:)]

Cheers Ray.

Seal 22 MK3 "Morveren" Number 384
(the last one built by John Baker)

Geoff Harwood
2011-12-12T19:14:22Z
On my Sinbad, which is similar to the Mk III 22 in that area, I fitted it to the coaming. I had to make an extension to increase its reach (could have bought one but being a tightwad with a lathe that was easier). You can fit a bit of packing under the UJ of the tiller extension and ditto under the clip that holds it when not in use. I took the extension off altogether when I wanted to use 'lectric George as it was called.

Geoff Harwood ex S/287 ex P21/30
smiffy
2011-12-12T21:33:09Z
Hi Geoff,

Many thanks for that, I don't suppose you have a photo showing this arrangement do you? In my members handbook it says that you still have 21/30? Your signature says ex? What are you sailing these days?

Cheers, Ray.

Geoff Harwood
2011-12-13T19:39:36Z
Sorry no relevant pics. The Sinbad was last heard of in the Medway (Hoo Ness YC?) P21/30 has moved 200 yards down the creek from here and I now have a Skipper 17 - the 21 was too heavy for me to push around the garden in my old age.

Geoff
smiffy
2011-12-13T20:29:53Z
Hello Geoff,

Well not to worry, I was hoping that someone would post a pic or two to maybe give me some ideas, but I will just have to sort it meself. I was just having a look at the Skipper17 website, there certainly seems to be an active following for them. I quite like them myself, especially the Eagle 525 version, maybe that will be the route I will go when I get too doddery for my Seal![:)]

Cheers, Ray.

gregfaux
2012-03-31T19:33:38Z
Hiya Smiffy
I have a Raymarine '1000' tillerpilot on Moonspinner... It fitted really easy.. There is a standdard bracket under the tiller (an inch drop i think). The shaft has a small extension (2 inches I think) and the socket for the pivot pin goes in the top of the coaming. The top of the coaming is a bout 19mm thick including the timber batton thats laminated into it and the socket goes straight through the centre of it. I sanded it underneath (awkwad stretch) and araldited an extra smll piece of ply' packing to make sure the socket is supported over its whole depth although I doubt this was necessary on a boat weing fjust a ton, given the tiller pilot will hanle up to close to 3 tons. The horizontal angle is very slightly out (just a couple of degrees in my case and this can be adjusted by shaving the top or the rudder post by a couple of mil's. You fshouldnt have to rebove more than a couple of coats of paint as at the tillerpilot pin under the rudder, the movement is about 5 times the amount you shve off the top of the rudder. In practice I doubt if it would make a lot, if any difference if the horizontal level is a degree or two out - the boat heels a lot more than that.. Getting the tillerpilot at 90 degrees to the tiller is the one to get as accurate as you can, but given the shape of boats being all curves, I doubt there are meny installations that are millimetre perfect, and you will have to correct the compas in the unit anyhow (setup menu) as there is very little chance it will read within 5 degrees of your steering compas or gps when you first install it. I bought the rod extension as I dont have a lathe or easy access to one, and at about 18 quid its dear for what it is, but cheaper for me than messing around finding someone to make it up any cheaper... Good luck, this is a dead easy one to do...

Greg...
Seal 22 - Moonspinner
Greg...
Seal 22 - Moonspinner