Andrew D
  • Andrew D
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2012-03-17T20:15:20Z
Like most other 275s I my boat has a table base mounted in the cabin to take the collapsible table leg. It also has a base in the cockpit as built and then a second one was also added for a second position.
I noticed the other day that one of the cockpit bases was dry and the other one had water in it. On investigation I discovered that the base had corroded through and the water was leaking into the rear berth.
I hunted the web and thought I had found a match at Force 4 but when they arrived they were very lightly made and a much smaller diameter. They also only had 6 screwholes instead of the originals 8. I have searched all the caravan and boat on line shops but found nothing to match the originals.
Has anybody replaced one of these and or know a supplier of the original?
geoff.sheddick
2012-03-17T23:39:25Z
Hello Andrew

I don't have a 275, but the type of removable tubular table legs, with a choice of recessed or surface mount sockets that I assume that you are referring to, used to be sold under the Desmo brand name as long ago as the '70s.

Over the years, the idea has been widely copied internationally for both the marine and caravan market, in various materials.

If you search Google and Google Images with "Desmo table" (& leg, & base), you will find many variants, often described as "Desmo type", some in alloy, some in powder coated steel , some in stainless, some with 6 hole fixings, some with 8 holes eg at Norfolk Marine, Midland Chandlers and even on eBay.

Hope that this helps you track down the right variant.
sincerely

Geoff Sheddick
Parker 27/146 "Stroller'
Geoff Sheddick
Parker 27/146 "Stroller'
Bob
  • Bob
  • Advanced Member
2012-03-18T16:17:54Z
Original was Unipart Marine (formerly known as Mark Dowland Marine)
Floor Base Plate, Part No 350597
Andrew D
  • Andrew D
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2012-03-22T19:56:42Z
Thanks Geoff & Bob.
After a bit of discussion and measuring I now have two of the correct table leg bases from Midland Chandlers part No CF-163 for £12.95 each.
I also received a full refund + postage from Force 4 as they recognised their photograph was misleading!
Recesses in base now painted with hammerite to slow down corrosion from collected water. To be fitted this Saturday before launch on the 31st March, weather permitting.
Thanks all.
Andrew
VELA 275/40