johnlansley
2012-03-30T20:44:21Z
I am about to buy my first 235, and the Riggers I have asked to inspect have said that in their experience the Z-Spar Furler is likely to fall apart in "a few years".
Would any owner of a 235 older than (say) 8 years please let me know if they have had any problems with Z-spar furling gear ? Thank you.

Johh Lansley
ARRussell
2012-03-30T21:13:12Z
Hello John,

Welcome and congratulations on your choice.

My boat is ten years old now and the original Z-Spars furler works perfectly. I've had no problems with it and I've done no maintenance other than to squirt it with a hose. It seems good to me.

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
John Edwards
2012-03-31T10:23:23Z
Hi John and also welcome.

I purchased my boat about this time last year (similar age to Anthony's) and had a really good first season; I don't think you will be disappointed.

As far as I can tell the Z-Spar Furler is original and - touch wood - no problems last year.

I Googled Z-Spar Furler with some interesting results and help pages including:
http://www.zsparsuk.com/mastfurlhelp.htm 

This might help your decision

John
235/07 Diamond
John
235/07 Diamond
GeoffTurner
2012-04-02T15:44:10Z
I'd be surprised if the Z-Spar furling system fell apart - I've a 2-year old one on my 21, and it's much better than the system it replaced.

What is there to fall apart? The bearings are pretty substantial for this size boat, and the foil is one piece (not joined sections) so is unlikely to fail unless it gets bent.

Also, Z-spars are really good for supplying spares, even for their old products.

Geoff

Parker 21 / 18 Dawn
Andy G
2012-04-02T15:51:50Z
Hi John

I haven't had any issues with my Z-Spars furling gear on Jago and it's P235 Number 4 with the original gear. Although the sail in very tight in the track which makes hoisting a pain but as the gear and sails are the originals I think it must have always been tight.

Regards
Andy

Jago
Parker 235/04

Jago
Parker 235/04
ARRussell
2012-04-03T20:54:19Z
Andy,

The luff rope of my jib runs freely in one of the grooves (the one I usually use) but sticks in the other. The difference is grot build-up! I think the answer is to clean out the grooves when you have the mast down and then spray them with PTFE dry lubricant (from Screwfix, Halfords, etc, rather than the over-priced boaty brands).

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
chris nichols
2012-04-04T16:32:41Z
Hi Guys, I had 235/16 for a couple of years (now have a 27) and when the boat arrived, we couldn't get the genoa to hoist all the way up the foil - it was very tight. upon measuring, the luff rope fitted by Quantum was fount to be the wrong size - they refitted the correct one and the sail went up the foil like a rat up a drainpipe!
Cheers
Chris
Andy G
2012-04-05T10:16:38Z
Hi

I have been wondering if the luff rope is the wrong size as it is tight to get into the track at the bottom and a real pain to hoist by the time it's 3/4 of the way up.

Although I didn't clean the track I did give it a spray with silicon in the hope that it would make it easier but no such luck.

I think I'll get my ruler out when I go over to the boat at the weekend.

Andy

Jago
Parker 235/04

Jago
Parker 235/04