Robby
  • Robby
  • Member Topic Starter
2012-04-29T23:40:06Z
Hi,

I am partially disabled and find it difficult to lift my heavy steel rudder.

It does have a small block and tackle system but where the rope is attached to the rudder it provides very little angle to get much purchase.

Has anyone else had this problem and how did you deal with it. I am considering attaching a steel bar that extends astern of the rudder to create a better angle.

Robby

The More I learn The More I Realise How Little I know!
essexman
2012-05-07T19:55:31Z
I was having this problem on mine until I took off the old pulley system and put on 2 fiddle blocks it has made it a lot easier but it still could be better.
I have seen a 22 with an alloy one but it was too pricey for me.
philip linsell
2012-05-08T08:57:03Z
Robby
When I had a 22 the previous owner had added plywood to each side of the blade, giving an aerofoil shape, which not only worked better but made the blade float and easier to lift.
I fitted a tiller cam cleat that trips, if you hit the rudder on the bottom, it rises to horizontal, not staying on the bottom.
When the blade cracked I replaced it with a stainless steel, shorter blade made full length with ply and again shaped and cased in fibreglass.
Philip
ex Tulena 22, now rascal 26
Ken Surplice
2012-05-09T21:45:23Z
Hi, Parker 275 yachts use the extension bar as you suggest. The technique is to pass the rudder up haul over a slot in the end of the bar. Instead of then pulling the up haul, you place the free end in the jammer you use to hold the rudder up. Then pull vertically upwards on the up haul line, as it passes along the top of the tiller, and up pops the rudder. Good luck with your mod. Ken

Ken Surplice
Commodore
Ken
smiffy
2012-05-27T09:24:19Z
Ken,

Any photos of that arrangement available?

Cheers, Ray.

Seal 22 MK3 "Morveren" Number 384
(the last one built by John Baker)

Seal 22 MK3 "Morveren" Number 384
(the last one built by John Baker)

Steve
2012-05-29T22:12:25Z
There was a practical boat owner article probably about a year ago with a feature on making up a plywood alternative to a metal one. I am fairly mobile and have problems lifting mine onto the boat and would rather not leave on all the time bearing in mind the price of metal. It could get pinched so was thinking of putting something together over the next few weeks and see how we get on. Steve.

Stevenhall
Stevenhall
Robby
  • Robby
  • Member Topic Starter
2012-05-31T12:40:41Z
quote:
Originally posted by Steve

There was a practical boat owner article probably about a year ago with a feature on making up a plywood alternative to a metal one. I am fairly mobile and have problems lifting mine onto the boat and would rather not leave on all the time bearing in mind the price of metal. It could get pinched so was thinking of putting something together over the next few weeks and see how we get on. Steve.

Stevenhall

I would love to see what you come up with!

Robby

Steve
2012-06-26T23:02:01Z
Well the plywood alternative was not very successful lasting just a few minutes on the river before it snapped, fortunately was just motoring. Back to the drawing board,I have asked a local metalworking firm to price an alternative. Will keep you posted.

Stevenhall
Stevenhall
Steve
2012-10-21T22:19:22Z
Had an ali one made up, not cheap but could juggle with it, it's so light, but much shorter as used on the Thames as a motor boat currently rather than get the sails up.... It's all possible but the weight of the standard one must contribute a lot to ballast so sailing performance may suffer. not sure wood will ever work as the forces it's under are too great and it's only 8 mm wide. Steve

Stevenhall
Stevenhall