Alan Needham
2012-10-28T10:52:46Z
Hi All

Does anybody have a record of the mast length for a P21? I have been through all of my paperwork and cannot find it.

What mast rake angle is recommended? 2 or 3 degrees seems to be the generally recommended angle for a 3/4 fractional rig but again I cannot find specific information for a P21.

Thanks for the help

Alan
P21 #8
Geoff Harwood
2012-10-29T10:33:03Z
My mast on Cygnus was 29ft 6in. I never measured the rake but from a photo of her on the mooring it's only about 1 degree on average relative to the waterline. A bit less at the bottom due to a bit of prebend. A couple of people in the cockpit would tip the whole rig back a bit!

Geoff Harwood ex p21/30
GeoffTurner
2012-10-30T06:31:47Z
Total length is 8600mm - I have the full spec from ZSpars if anyone wants it

Geoff

Parker 21 / 18 Dawn
Alan Needham
2012-10-31T10:15:50Z
Hi Geoff's

Thanks for the responses - was the same mast fitted to all years Production as the difference between 29'6" and a drawing length of 8600mm is appreciable? Albeit at the small cosine angle though this would make only a small difference at the mast foot.

The reason for all the questions is that this season I have been struggling with upwind performance. Other boats were sailing closer to the wind and I thought that as a 1st step I would start to research what improvements I could make by adjusting the rig tensions, the original tensions were set by an experienced guy at the club but he does not sail a fractional rigged boat. It appears from all of my reading so far, that the 1st step in any of the articles is to set the mask rake hence the length question.

Glad to see you guys are still active in the forum, thanks again for the replies.

Alan
P21 #8