Spica
  • Spica
  • Member Topic Starter
2012-11-16T21:25:21Z
My boat is now 22 years old and during that time the keel has only been examined twice, each time by lifting the boat and dropping the keel insitu.

On the last examination, three years ago the paint was beginning to blister and there were signs of shallow pitting.

We have good facilities for lifting the boat and placing it on high level stands that would allow the keel to be removed. Can any member provide:-

1. A procedure for removing the keel.

2. Pass on their experinces of doing this job.

3. A shotblasting and paint spec for repainting the keel for use in sea water conditions.

Regards

Bernard
Jim Crick
2013-01-15T09:49:21Z
I have this in mind for next winter but, from my efforts to cure some lateral "slop", (successful), I do know the following.

1. The access panels do not clear the S/S bolts that hold the nylon blocks to the keel casting. I have more of the keel trunk to grind away before I can reach the fwd assembly.
2. Although the Nyloc nuts undid easily, two of the three S/S bolts were seized through the keel casting. I was not prepared to risk shearing them whilst afloat, so maybe just another tweak of the socket wrench might have done it. It could turn out to be very tricky!
3. The roller between the two Nylon blocks (aft top of keel) was also seized, but was easy to free.
4. My keel has a forged eyebolt for uphaul attachment (some have a S/S strop). Mine was down to about 25% remaining when I first changed it.

I don't know

1. Can I remove the bolts, and then the nylon blocks?
2. If I can, will the keel just slide out when the boat is in slings?
3. How many old men does it take to manhandle 204kg of keel?
4. Can the boat be slid back over the keel?

I think the P235 forums have some entries about shotblasting and epoxy coating keels. I think they can lift the keel out through the deck!
I think boatyards use a keel stand when removing keels, to prevent it toppling over.
I assume you have access to the Owner's Manual drawings.

Good luck, & please keep me posted

Jim
P21 Talulah
Jon Stockton
2013-02-20T10:42:49Z
I too am interested in this one. Having got Shivra up on frames, I too find I have some keel slop, a very rusty keel, causing the glass fibre panel to lift in places. The keel does not drop down far enough to get at the top of the panel, so I am reluctant just to do the bit I can get at. How did you cure your slop Jim?