MikeB
  • MikeB
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2013-03-10T10:32:55Z
The weather is getting a little warmer (?) and my thoughts are turning to getting Number 47 into commission for May. I'm going to replace the keel eye bolts and service the keel mechanism. The owner's manual mentions "water pump grease". A google search turns up lots of stuff about vintage cars. What have other owners used ? Thanks in advance for any help. Mike.
Mike Ball
P235 No 36 "Juicy Blue"
ARRussell
2013-03-10T15:31:23Z
Hello Mike,

I recall reading - probably on here somewhere - that Bill or Bruce Parker changed the advice on keel lubrication because it was found grease hardens and gums up the rollers. They work better if they're cleaned out and left to be water-lubricated - the rollers and the sliders in the keel box are nylon. It's a lot less messy too.

As for waterproof grease (for other uses), I use Ramonol. I don't know whether there are better alternatives, though.

The weather is certainly not warmer over here!

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
MikeB
  • MikeB
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2013-03-10T17:51:02Z
"One interesting point that came up in conversation with Parker's was about the grease in the keel housing. They are finding that as the grease ages, it thickens and goes stiff, causing more resistance than not having any at all. So they have re-installed our keel dry, with out grease, allowing the water to lubricate it."

Thanks Anthony, well remembered. One less thing on my shopping list !
Mike Ball
P235 No 36 "Juicy Blue"