BobS
  • BobS
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2013-04-12T09:43:09Z
As there is no useful pushpit bars over the stern of the 285, how do people secure their outboard - or does it just go in the very full locker?!
Thanks
Bob Simpson
geoff.sheddick
2013-04-12T10:50:48Z
One solution that I have seen on a P285 was an auxiliary outboard bracket fitted on the transom of Tasman [P285 #61]. It was of the spring assisted drop down/lift up type.

The engine was completely clear of the water when up, and, when down, at exactly the right height for easily transferring the engine to the dinghy transom. The idea appeals to me because singlehandedly transferring the engine up and down to the pushpit bracket on my P27 is one of my least favourite & risky tasks...

Downsides may include precise choice of mounting position so as not to impeded rudder stock angle, and vulnerability to collision damage...

I took a photo, which I'd be happy to email to anyone - geoff.sheddickatgmail.com

By the way, the purpose appeared to be solely to provide a convenient stowage place for the engine. When lowered, the engine controls would be inaccessible from onboard, even if one was optimistic enough to believe that a dinghy engine might be an effective auxiliary.

Geoff Sheddick
Parker 27/146 "Stroller'
Geoff Sheddick
Parker 27/146 "Stroller'
David Smith
2013-04-12T15:48:36Z
Hi,
We have just purchased Blythe Spirit No 68 a 285HS.
She came fitted with an outboard bracket attached to the port side top rail and middle rail. Our Suzuki 2.2 fits perfectly.
The locker is rather small for everything we need for comfortable cruising so the outboard stays locked up outside.
David
philip linsell
2013-04-15T09:30:01Z
Hi
As I don't like the high on the pushpit solution for carrying my tender outboard I looked for an alternative for my 26. I was able to bolt a short piece of hardwood through the stern near the top and projecting just enough to fit the small outboard. It's the same thickness as the stern of my tender (not to be confused with my tender stern!), so not much adjustment of fixings. It looks as if the rudder should hit the engine but it's well clear. I don't know if the shape of the 285 is shaped to allow this fitting.