Phill
  • Phill
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2013-04-28T21:26:02Z
Water is collecting in both cabin lockers on 275/38 Flamingo. It seems to be salt water with an orange (rusty?) tinge to it and seems to be collecting when we are sailing. The boat is new to us and our suspicion is that the water is already aboard and is on the move when we are heeled. I have re-sealed the chain plates successfully so it shouldn't be that and can find no evidence of it coming 'down' from deck level. There is a hint that similarly coloured water is welling up around the sides of the striped wooden sole. Has anyone had a similar experience, or could anyone suggest where to search next.

Regards

Phill
Jan
  • Jan
  • Advanced Member
2013-04-29T12:13:28Z
Hello Phill
The colour of the water is probably due to its contact with the cast iron slab beneath the cockpit sole. The major sorce of water below deck on our 275 was the inspection hatch on the freshwater tank.
That of course would be "Fresh" but probably pick up enough salt to taste by swilling around in the bottom of the boat for a while. Next source was the electric winch for the keel, water entering the top of the keelbox ran along the winch cable and collected in the winch gearbox getting a nice rusty colour before spilling onto the font bunk then to the floor. After that you have about 5 holes in the hull for cocks and transducers, plus two or 3 sink drains all worth checking.
Best of luck

Jan
Blue Moon
325/32

Phill
  • Phill
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2013-04-29T17:52:15Z
Thanks Jan, I'll investigate further next time I'm on the boat. I preferred the arrangement on the 21 where the sea stayed outside the boat.

Phill
Turnstone
2013-06-20T20:43:25Z
We've just read Jan's reply and the this explains the rusty water on the bunk in the forecabin. Is there a simple way of preventing the water entering through the winch?

Dennis and Anne
redshank 275/19

Anne & Dennis Kell Redshank 275/19
Anne & Dennis Kell Arenaria 325/21
DickG
2013-06-22T18:29:46Z
When I got Dark Star, I looked inside the electric winch housing and found a lot of rusty detritus in there. The winch motor housing was badly corroded, and I fitted a new winch - taking the precaution of wrapping the motor in plastic so that any water would run off it without causing so much corrosion. Since then I have switched from wire rope to dyneema, when I did that I cleaned up the winch drum and repainted it with Hammerite. The dyneema does not score the drum like the wire did, so it now seems to stay fairly clean in there. The entry from the keel box was quite large, as the GRP was cut away for the sheave to fit. I put some 2mm acrylic sheet over this inside the keel box, cut to fit around the dyneema with enough clearance. This should reduce the likelihood of water slopping through the space, the dyneema does not seem to bring too much water back with it.

Only internal water I have suffered [so far, fingers crossed] in the main cabin was from the window seals - just tightening the screws was enough to solve this to date.

Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36
Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36
BobS
  • BobS
  • Advanced Member
2013-07-17T15:54:59Z
...Water in A slightly different place: I have been finding fresh(ish) water in the bilge where the sea cock/raw water inlet is positioned. This has been intermittent and after a lot of head down in the bilges time, found that it seems to be coming from a blue ? overflow pipe from the pumped fresh water system. I presume that if the pressure is to high some water escapes into the bilge? Has anyone had a similar issue?
Thanks
BobS
285/74 TEAL
Andrew D
2013-07-19T20:14:10Z
In reply to Bobs fresh water problem I do not have that problem on Vela but on both my last boats I had the same problem. If I pick you up correctly it is simply the hot water pressure getting too great and the pressure valve blowing. i replaced my first one under builders warranty but to no avail. The simple solution was an old plastic coke bottle that i emptied every so often. Not a great solution but it stops water entering the bilge and easily emptied.
BobS
  • BobS
  • Advanced Member
2013-07-19T22:27:04Z
Thanks, Good advice.
Bob Simpson
David Smith
2013-07-24T16:04:28Z
Hi,
We have just come back from 10 glorious days in the Solent on our 285 HS Blythe Spirit. Half way through our holiday we discovered several gallons of fresh water slopping around in the heads floor! On close inspection the leak came from the pipe which fits onto the shower head which fits into a hole by the taps. We have a pressurised system and the connection when examined was loose.Turning on the taps caused the leak. Switching on the shower pump cleared most of the water and a sponge completed the job. Tightning up the fittings with an adjustable spanner saved the day.No more water!!

David
peter lowry
2013-07-29T13:49:29Z
Hi Dick

I too have n electric winch in Sophia 275 # 53 which was fitted new in Feb 2012 -- the cable always worries me and the small of rust build up

I too would like to change over to rope
could you please advise on how thich and what length the dyneema rope is so I can change over this winter

cheers
Peter Lowry
DickG
2013-09-09T19:43:09Z
Peter,

I use D12 Dyneema, made by Marlow and also by other manufacturers.
http://www.marlowropes.c...cruising-racing/d12.html 

When I changed to using dyneema, the sizes Marlow made were 6, 8, 10mm etc, and I used 8mm. Now they make 7mm and 9mm, however the current 7mm has the same break load as the old 8mm. At 5360kg average, this gives a safety factor of over 15 [anything over 10 is ok].

I use a "Chinese constrictor" knot to attach to the shackle onto the keel - using a splice is not so good, as the length of splice would mean it would run onto the sheave. An Anchor Bend could also be used.

At the winch end I put a clove hitch on the drum, before leading the tail of the dyneema out onto the outside of the drum and securing it in the same way that the wire is secured. Once I have it secured, I work the slack back through the clove hitch. I use about 4m of rope, so there are always a good number of turns on the drum. I try to put as much load on the line as possible when reeling onto the drum, to reduce the amount the rope will force between the wraps of the lower layers under the full load of the keel - but some of this will always happen. Dyneema is very chafe resistant so its not too much of a problem.

Hope this helps - sorry about the late reply, I've been sailing!

Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36
Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36
peter lowry
2013-09-10T10:07:35Z
Hi Dick

many thanks for all your information

another job for the winter

cheers

Peter