Paul Reymond
2013-06-13T21:07:45Z
Hi all
Does anyone know the manufacturer of my Keel winch , its manual and has two drums.
The main gear is starting to show signs of wear steps in teeth, not healthy.
If it's any help the boat is 275 no. 5
Many thanks Paul
Ken Surplice
2013-06-18T20:08:10Z
Hello Paul,

I see you are not having much luck in getting replies. This might be because your brief description is of something people are unfamiliar with. Could you say a little more? Where is your manual winch located? Is it in the fore cabin, on the leading edge of the keel box? Can you post a picture?

The only keel lifting I have seen is either via electric winch in the fore cabin, on the leading edge of the keel box, or via the regular winches on coach-roof. I vaguely recall one person saying their winch was in the loo but the details escape me.

Cheers-Ken

Ken
Tim Reeder
2013-06-19T10:20:31Z
Paul

I think the winch you refer to is the original system with a winch handle on deck?

Mike Slade used to have Nosey Parker with this system. He converted it to an electric winch. He now has a Moody but is still a member and may be able to help.

http://www.parkerseal.or...s/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=579 

Ken and I still have the manual rope winch system where the rope comes back to a cockpit / cabin roof Harken winch. This is quite hard work but is very reliable, does not need any electric winch in the forecabin, and keeps me fit!

Hope this helps.

Tim

Paul Reymond
2013-06-20T20:05:40Z
Thanks Tim,
Yes sounds like I have the original version, mine is a worm gear type winch ,operated from the deck by a 1/2" drive handle.
Not particularly keen on electric winches, it would nice to be able to remove my self from a nav error with a flat battery.
Does the rope system have a failsafe against accidental un checked dropping of the keel.
I don't mind keeping the present system , but feel it would benefit from a rebuild.

Cheers Paul
Tim Reeder
2013-06-21T14:05:29Z
Paul

The manual system has a fail safe in that there is a wire strop coming out of the top of the keel box which shows how far up the keel is. This also is used for putting through a pin to hold the keel in the fully up position. On my boat I have an additional eye in the strop so I can put the pin in when the keel is half down as well.

There is obviously no fail safe when you are actually winching the keel up or letting it down, but the same goes for all systems.

The advantage of the manual system over the original system is that you do not need to go on deck to do the winching - just for pulling the pin out or putting it back again.

Hope this helps

Tim
DickG
2013-06-22T18:34:56Z
One of the other 275's at our club had the worm drive winch, but I think he was working on an electrical replacement to fit the same space - using a vehicle type winch.
I'll ask him to take a look at the forum and see if he can add something.
The worm winch he had was very stiff, but some work on the bearings, especially the thrust bearings, would have probably improved it - it looked very agricultural.

Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36
Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36
DickG
2013-06-23T21:14:45Z
The owner of the 275 with the worm drive winch tells me that it is made by Dutton-Lainson [who also make the electric winch that was used later].

He hasn't converted to electric, but has fettled the worm drive winch with spares from D-L.

The website is:-
http://www.dutton-lainson.com/products.php?cat=20 

Hope this helps.

Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36
Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36
Paul Reymond
2013-06-25T23:55:07Z
Many thanks Dick , I will be on to the manufacturers asap
Cheers Paul 275 melody no. 5
jalbery
2015-02-01T17:02:05Z
Does anyone know which model winch from dutton-lainson the 275s originally had? There appear to be 2 basic models - a 2000lb rated one and a 1500lb rated one.

Thanks
James

Parker 275 No.1 - Morning's Minion
Morning's Minion, Parker 275, No. 1
Paul Reymond
2015-02-03T20:45:56Z
Pretty sure the winch is the 1500lb version .
I sourced my replacement from marine megastore.
the out put on mine was a socket welded onto final drive and 1/2" drive welded to handle .
The weld on the socket has to be very minima,l so I opted for drilling and pinning mine.
Hope this is of use
Paul
Oi Oi 275 number 5
jalbery
2015-02-04T14:08:15Z
Thanks Paul. I like the idea of having the hex drive on the handle so I'll see what I can get

Cheers
James
Morning's Minion, Parker 275, No. 1
roblpm
2015-02-04T17:42:13Z
Originally Posted by: jalbery 

Does anyone know which model winch from dutton-lainson the 275s originally had? There appear to be 2 basic models - a 2000lb rated one and a 1500lb rated one.

Thanks
James

Parker 275 No.1 - Morning's Minion

James

I replaced the winch on Nimrod, Parker 275 no 7 last winter. I managed to order the wrong one to start with so if you can wait until the weekend I will post the exact model. I am on a sailing course in Portugal until Saturday. I ordered straight from the manufacturer in the USA. Very easy and pretty cheap plus the import duty and vat.

Cheers

Rob
Rob
Parker 275 Number 7 Nimrod
Port Edgar Marina
roblpm
2015-02-11T00:13:12Z
James

This is the one

http://www.dutton-lainso...roddetail.php?prod=11011 

1500lb as mentioned above.

You can have a single or split drum. I ended up with a single as I now have dyneema on there.

Also check you order the removable handle version!!
Rob
Parker 275 Number 7 Nimrod
Port Edgar Marina