BobS
  • BobS
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2013-07-17T15:59:35Z
After returning from a trip round the West Coast of Scotland (including seeing VELA in Portavadie) I discovered that my propeller shaft anode has gone.
Is there a specification and usual supplier for these?
Many thanks
BobS
285/74
Andrew D
2013-07-19T20:08:06Z
Hi Bob
Interesting that you saw my boat Vela in Portavadie shame I missed you. Just back today from glorious sun and 24c! Did you sail from the south coast and where did you get to?
Last year I did not have a shaft anode on Vela and relied on the large one that is wired to the engine. This year I fitted a ball anode suitable for a 1"shaft and as far as I know it is still there! You should be get one from most chandleries or on line.
Andrew D
BobS
  • BobS
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2013-07-19T22:11:18Z
Hi Andrew,
Portavadie was awsome, but I was only there a night on my way to Ardrishaig for the Crinan Canal. Teal is kept at Kirkcudbright on the Solway, so not too far to go to the West Coast. Look me up if you come in there on your way south. (0759 257 4415)

I did go to the Chandler's today and found a Plastimo "anode conical nut" Zinc Ref: 38248 This is the 30mm greatest inside diameter size and was a bit loose, but by screwing the bolt tight, it fitted well and externally was flush with the shaft. I think the correct size (partly on the advise of Peter Parker) is probably 22-25mm Part Ref 38247 but the chandler did not have one and I am happy to stay with what I've got.
Many thanks for your advice.
Bob Simpson
Teal 285/74