PaulBurton
2007-04-12T20:16:55Z
Having just spent 5 days on the Norfolk Broads the battery went low on day 4....

We had been running a cool box when the engine was running plus all the other stuff you use...inc a tv and lighting in the evening...the Kids were charging the gameboys every day as well....

Things were fine until the evening of day 4 when the lights were getting very dim..

I do have a solar panel...and it was very sunny...

When I got home I have been checking the connections...all seem fine...I have found and checked the fuse in the engine...all fine..

I have tested the output from the coil and am getting volts varying with revs....but nothing on the output side of the rectifier...

Is the rectifier up the duff....???

The engine is the Honda 6hp 4 stroke bf6....

My signature.

Parker 235/ 40 Lady Penelope...

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
James Hamilton
2007-04-19T22:36:28Z
Paul

I have been having a similar problem, think I have traced it to a loose connection in the connection plug (one of the two prong chrome variety).

I have replaced the plug/socket and fitted a volt meter now but haven't tested it yet

Jim

http://freespace.virgin..../sailing_solent_2005.jpg 
2007-04-20T09:08:42Z
Paul - I have heard of this problem, it is as James says often just down to poor contact between the two pins and the socket.

I have a NASA BM1 Voltmeter on my boat and HIGHLY recommend it - they are under £100 and easy to fit.

It constantly shows charging / discharging whether by engine or solar, as well as time left and other info.

There was an article on fitting one to Gentoo a few SSA magazines back.

Well worth considering.........

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
PaulBurton
2007-04-21T08:12:15Z
I have not got the article but would be very interested in seeing it...

Any chance of a copy or someone scanning and emailing it to me..?

I have not found the problem yet...the solar panel is keeping the battery topped up..good job it is sunny !!!!

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
James Hamilton
2007-04-21T11:22:56Z
Hi

My voltmeter is one of the old fashioned analogue type (about £30 I think at the boat show, but marinestore have them). I wired it to monitor the instrument circuit at the back of the switch panel (cut a hole in the wood next to it).

By the way, probably saw you sailing, we had rented the wherry 'White Moth' for a week last week with some friends and were going very slowly past the cantley sugar mills (on the Yare?). Unfortuantely did not have the camera to hand, but she was going well and looked like you were having fun.

http://freespace.virgin..../sailing_solent_2005.jpg 
Geoff Harwood
2007-04-21T14:37:05Z
I think the little coils they sell to make outboard motors "charge" are pretty puny by automotive standards. The Mercury one is supposed to make 5 amps (but 2 is nearer unless you're running flat out) so to make enough leccy to run the echo sounder, gps and maybe the cabin lights for an hour or two in the evening you'd need to run the motor for at least an hour each day and who's going to want to do that?

Geoff Harwood P21/30 Cygnus

2007-04-21T22:38:34Z
Paul - the article was in 2006 / Issue 3 of newsletter, page 24.

I THINK you can look up the old newsletters on-line through the SSA website...........

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
PaulBurton
2007-04-22T08:26:17Z
I have found the some articles but nothing about fitting a Nasa Battery monitor.....I do not have the newsletter....

I have to run my outboard for an hour or so every time I go to sea...I have a lock and 3 bridges to pass before I get to open water...and yes I do lower the mast each time..

Thanks anyway....

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
Don Harvey
2007-04-22T14:53:06Z
quote:
I THINK you can look up the old newsletters on-line through the SSA website...........

Sorry but they are not on-line.

Regards
Don Harvey
Web Master
Parker 325 'Calypso'
Regards
Don Harvey
Don Harvey
2007-04-22T15:58:11Z
Here's the article referred to.

IS IT CHARGING?

For many of us at the smaller end of the sailing scale, boat electrics can be a rather basic but are no less important for that. A single 1 2v battery re-charged by the outboard is a pretty common arrangement and those of you who have a similar set-up will know that outboards don’t give much charge and we’d all rather sail than motor anyway. It’s therefore reassuring to know that the engine is charging properly when you do have it running.

The demand-side of the battery seems to get ever more, well, demanding. On Gentoc (235/22) we run the usual lights, VHF and echo-sounder plus a Garmin 176 GPS plotter but have also added a small Waeco portable fridge beneath the companionway steps. This luxury—and it really does transform cruising to have a cold beer and safe food on a hot day, so it’s become a highly-valued item aboard—is a proper compressor fridge, so it uses much less power than cheaper thermoelectric coolboxes, but still takes over 3 Amps when it’s running (which it does for about 10 minutes in the hour).

Unfortunately, I’ve never been very confident that our outboard has been delivering charge and, whilst it does a great job of keeping the battery topped up whilst the boat is unattended, the small solar panel on the coachroof only adds about half an amp at most. So I’ve spent too much time prodding various terminals with a multi-meter, trying to work out if the battery is happy and if the engine is adding any amps at all. When cruising, we have come to rely on a battery charger plugged into pontoon power every couple of days, which rather limits our scope to find wild anchorages. I bought a Cetec digital charger, by the way, and it’s excellent—much better for the battery than a car charger.

Proper battery monitoring systems that really show what’s going on in the battery—voltage, current and capacity—all seem to be prohibitively expensive but when I saw adverts for a new NASA device, the BM- 1, at £99 I decided to fit one. The instructions were very clear so the installation wasn’t too stressful—the worst bit was deciding where to cut a hole in shiny GRP to fit the display. The wiring bit is easy; you remove the all wires from the negative terminal of the battery and replace them with a 20cm long thick wire connected to one side of a ‘shunt’. This shunt is an insulated block which you bolt onto a bulkhead near the battery and has two large brass terminals joined by a strip of metal. The wires that you removed from the negative battery terminal go onto the second terminal of the shunt and then small voltage and current measuring wires connect from the display unit to the positive battery terminal and the two shunt terminals. The kit comes with a 3m long cable allowing you to mount the display unit wherever suits you best (it is spray-proof so it can be in the cockpit) but I put it at the end of the starboard berth, close to the battery, to avoid a tricky wiring run.

Once connected, there are a few button-pushing combinations to go through to tell the system the size of the battery (or bank of batteries) and then it ‘learns’ the characteristics of the battery over the first half hour of running a load such as the cabin lights. There are three options for the display that you can select: the first shows volts and amps (either leaving the battery or charging it); the second shows percentage capacity charged together with an estimate of either the time the battery will last at the current load, or how long it’ll take to charge at the present charging current; the third calculates the net charge or discharge in Ampere-hours since you last pressed a reset button.

Having finished the installation with not too many swear words, I was delighted to see the solar panel contributing 0.SA on a sunny March day but was less delighted when I fired up the outboard to see no charge at all registering. This at least confirmed my suspicions and so I systematically went through all the connections and fuses between engine and battery to find that the chromed-brass, two-pin deckplug would only make connection if wiggled in a certain way (I’ve now replaced it with a much better unit) and the in-line ‘bullet’ 8A fuse was definitely only playing ball when it felt like it. These things sorted, the readout shows 2A charging at tickover and up to 4.5A at fast cruising speed —not a huge charge if you are used to a diesel engine delivering 40A, but at least I know it’s working!

So, so far, I’m pleased with the NASA battery monitor, the real test of its usefulness will be after our two-week cruise to Falmouth. I’ll report back....

Graham Keating, Gentoo, Parker 235/22

Regards
Don Harvey
Web Master
Parker 325 'Calypso'
Regards
Don Harvey
PaulBurton
2007-04-22T18:43:55Z
Thank you just what I needed...seen them on ebay might have a bid ..see if I can get a bargain....

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
David Pocock
2007-04-23T20:42:14Z
Paul

I have the BM-1 and it seems to work fine. It shows the charge from my solar panels, and the increasing discharge as I switch things on. Incidentally, I have LED interior lights except for the standard light in the forecabin. That one light draws more current than all the LEDs put together.

However, I have not yet seen any charge indicated from my outboard but that might be because I have only looked when the engine is ticking over.

David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
PaulBurton
2007-04-24T07:47:43Z
Going to get a BM-1...but where to mount it...

I have thought about on the port aft bulkhead above the chart table, with the back in the outer locker. Should be easy to get the wiring down to the battery below the port berth...

Anyone see any problems with this.????

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
David Pocock
2007-04-24T08:46:24Z
Paul

Bill Parker fitted mine just above the switches on the port side. The possible advantage over your proposal is that I can stick my head in the cabin and easily see the state of the battery etc.

David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
Graham Ebb
2007-04-24T10:58:42Z
Paul,
I assume your battery is under the starboard bunk?. Will this mean getting quite a heavy cable across the boat under the floor?. I suspect that will be impossible to do. The cables that cross under the floor were installed to the underside of the internal moulding before it is installed into the hull. There is no access to these once the boat is built.

Graham Ebb
235/25 Blue Jazz
PaulBurton
2007-04-24T16:23:05Z
My battery is under the port bunk....below the switch panel....

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
2007-04-25T11:48:07Z
Paul: mine is also on port side, in the teak panel adjacent to the switch panel - as David says, it allows you to look in from outside and see it.

Graham: The batteries have now moved back to the port side on 235's to make installation easier, although from a weight distribution point of view I'd prefer mine to starboard to help balance out the already weightier port side (loo / locker / fuel etc).

David: My BM1 shows charge only when engine has a a few revs on it, ie: more than just tickover.

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
PaulBurton
2007-04-27T08:31:22Z
Sorry about the picture quality...used my phone..

UserPostedImage

not a lot of room next to the switches...

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
David Pocock
2007-04-27T09:11:00Z
Paul

My layout is the same. The BM1 is fitted between to the left of the switch panel (at the top.

As mentioned before, that makes it easy to glance in and see what is happening.

David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
2007-04-28T13:19:50Z
Paul - me too - there should be room to the left of the switch panel...

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"