roblpm
  • roblpm
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2014-01-06T20:04:12Z
Just replacing the vhf with a dsc model on Nimrod (Parker 275). So have just purchased an Evermore Gps Receiver and think i will mount it on the pushpit.

I have had a quick look at possible cable routings, Looks like through the cockpit locker, then into the engine compartment, but i cant see how the cabling gets from the engine compartment to the switch panel.

Any ideas??!!
Rob
Parker 275 Number 7 Nimrod
Port Edgar Marina
Andrew D
2014-01-07T10:44:16Z
Rob
The route i used was from the back of the instrument panel go down through the bottom and you will find other wires feeding into the starboard locker under the starboard berth. From there get a still bit of rigging wire or similar and feed all the way back to behind the water tank. There is a hollow section between the tank and starboard hull side and behind the nav table foot well. From there either go back past the prop shaft to the engine area or for you probably straight aft to come out at the end of the port cockpit locker.
Andrew
DickG
2014-01-16T07:52:33Z
I have a back-up VHF aerial on the pushpit, port side. The cable routes through the tubing to a cable gland, then though some trunking on the cockpit side longitudinal bulkhead, before going through the longitudinal bulkhead and across the propshaft space. From there, up onto the top surface of the quarter berth, and along towards the switch panel.

I also have some wiring to sockets adjacent to the pushpit, starboard side. These route just by the hull/deck join, hidden by the lining. There used to be a gps receiver there too, but when I rationalised the instruments I got a chart plotter with an integral receiver which seems to work just fine. The plotter is bulkhead mounted on the Stbd side by the companionway.
Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36
roblpm
  • roblpm
2014-01-16T11:35:57Z
Thanks Andrew and Dick,

I managed to get the cable through underneath with the use of an old shroud.

I did find a couple of things:

The forward wood cover on the rear berth has loads of screws, which I took out only to find it is sealed in!

There is an inspection hole forward of that which I managed to locate with the shroud from the locker under the starboard saloon seat.

So I managed to do the whole thing underneath which I was pleased with!! Cockpit locker through to the prop shaft access and then all the way to the locker under the saloon berth and then up in to the switch compartment.

Next problem is that there may be a problem with wiring between the switch panel and the mast base! So I might have to get under the headlining!!

Other problem of this type is that the replacement radio I bought has wings to make it flush mount, so I may have to make holes in the sides of the panel compartment to screw them in!!
Rob
Port Edgar Marina
DickG
2014-01-17T19:19:43Z
Rob,

I managed to do up the flush mount clamps on my radio by removing the switch panel and working through that aperture. A bit of a fiddle, I think I used just a screw driver bit to do the screws up, and used a variety of stuff like blu tack etc to stop me dropping things in mid process.

The aft quarter berth is screwed and sealed down on mine as it forms the top of the water tank.

I'll see if I can attach a couple of photos.

Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36
roblpm
  • roblpm
2014-01-19T22:54:56Z
Aha silly me! Somehow I didn't realise that was actually the water tank! How does that work then!!!

I have ordered some thumb screws to try and fix the radio in, will report back!!
Rob
Port Edgar Marina
DickG
2014-01-22T16:43:15Z
I haven't had to explore the details of the water tank, so its still a bit of a mystery to me too. I have had the circular inspection cover off to do a bit of cleaning, but that's as far as I have gone.
Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36