Jake
  • Jake
  • Member Topic Starter
2014-08-07T09:11:58Z
The 12v lifting keel motor for my Parker 275 is considered to be 'beyond repair' by a rewinding company. Does anyone know of a source of new/replacement motors? Or a rewinding company that can cope with a motor that seems beyond repair to the company I am using!
All help much appreciated.
Jake Lyne
Jake Lyne
Ken Surplice
2014-08-09T09:27:17Z
Jake, you might want to contact member Mike Slade, yacht Juno. He used to have a 275 and replaced his motor with a low cost alternative to the original motor and had very good results with it. I am not keen on the original motor, especially when the UK distributor took no interesting in diagnosing what might have caused the failure on mine when it gave up the ghost. Ken
Ken
Jake
  • Jake
  • Member Topic Starter
2014-08-09T19:53:23Z
Hi Ken, thanks for the suggestion, I'll do that.
Jake
Jake Lyne
Gilliane Sills
2014-08-11T21:03:15Z
http://www.dutton-lainson.com/products.php?cat=16 . I must say - I hope Stephen's implication that we can expect many more years of the Strongarm on our boat is right! If it turns out not to be, we'll be looking for an alternative too, so we'll be interested in anything you discover...

Best wishes

Gilliane

"Recently I discovered that a new winch via Bainbridge was £327 and with an 8 week delivery time. However a 'Reconditioned ' one direct from Dutton Lainson was only £165 including delivery. The delivery direct from Dutton Lainson in the USA was by air and the winch arrived less than 3 days after ordering. The winch appeared brand new! Replacement of a like for like winch was very straightforward and as the old one had lasted 16 years this seems like a reasonable arrangement."
Delphine, Parker 275, no. 41
Jake
  • Jake
  • Member Topic Starter
2014-10-15T07:56:22Z
Hi Gilliane

Thanks, in the end I decided to stay with the Strongarm because it was easier to refit it than make adaptations for a new winch. I tried to order from UK suppliers, but they take 8 weeks, so I ordered direct from Dutton-Lainson who delivered in 7 days. No reconditioned ones were on offer, and I had to pay £50 or so VAT duty on delivery.

My old motor had a clutch, but I ordered the new one without clutch. It is unsafe to have a clutch for vertical lifting since if the clutch is inadvertently released the keel can slam down. Refitting was easy, and the electrics did not need any alterations - plug in and go!

Regards

Jake
Jake Lyne