Floyd Raser
2015-11-15T23:26:45Z
I tried selling my boat during the summer but I only had silly offers so I have decided to keep it, make the best of it and buy a new trailer.

At this time second hand trailers hefty enough for these boats seem to bottom out at prices around £1500 to £1800, even for ancient heaps!

I have been in touch with SBS who tell me they used to make trailers for these boats (I sent pictures) and the one I need is their DK2000 for which the price is £2,360 + VAT with 10% off if I order before the end of November. I have yet to clarify it but I believe it's basically a deep keel trailer but they fit shorter supports to suit the Seal's hull.

I'm going to look into the price of guide bars but I'm just posting this to help others who may be in a similar position.

Stromboli
2015-11-18T20:15:41Z
Hi. I looked into buying a new trailer also, RM trailers have the design for the Seal, but the price was way over 3k.

So I managed to pick up an old trailer for a Hunter bildge keel off Ebay, and set about refurbishing it.

Using the trailer specs from the handbook, I fitted all the supports & also a new tow hitch & axle from Autow Warehouse. The total cost was 1k, and it works a treat. Hope this may be of help also.

Brian

Brian

"Stromboli"

Super Seal (79)

Floyd Raser
2015-11-18T20:42:26Z
Hi Brian,

I'm amazed you found a trailer under a grand, let alone refurbishing it for that! The only ones I could find at that price would be for a dinghy. Is yours road legal, twin axle with a eu plate?

Floyd

Jim Hatton
2015-11-23T21:10:29Z
Hi Floyd

Have you considered modifying another trailer? A half decent suitable flat bed or car transporter can be found within three figures. Stripping it down to the chassis and fitting a couple of roller bunks would see you sorted.

Jim.

22/209
Floyd Raser
2015-11-23T21:56:50Z
Hi Jim,

Yes I have. I have been restoring cars as a hobby for years and have quite an arsenal of kit including mig welding so that wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility. However, I would want the finished thing to be road legal and a such a beast may struggle to make it. I'm not sure an insurance company would be too happy about it either.

It looks like a lot of messing about to get the boat to fit the trailer and when it's finished it'll need a lot of painting to stop it looking like pile of scrap.

And all outside as it'll never go in my garage.

I'll be 59 in January and I'd rather put some extra time in at the air-conditioned office and pay some other mug to do the work! :-)

Then I'll have a trailer up to the job and I won't have to worry about it.

I saw someone towing a Seal 22 up the A14 on Saturday 31st October while on my way back from visiting mine. It was doing around 40mph on a single axle trailer and wobbling badly. Luckily there was another car behind with hazard lights flashing so it was ok as a get-you-home measure but that's all.

But seriously, the way prices of trailers are going I reckon £2,500ish is a good investment. On this website there is an old brochure showing the price of a new trailer at £1,600 I think. If any of those trailers are still around they wouldn't be much less today.

I'm going over to SBS to discuss the thing properly and probably place the order.

Floyd.

Jim Hatton
2015-11-23T22:17:30Z
Yes, the original price was actually £150 for the trailer, it was the boat that came in around £1600! But I concede your point. £2500 is a very good price for a new trailer nowadays. My only thought was that price seemed to be a major issue for you, and buying secondhand would be a cheaper option.

As an aside, modifying a trailer that already has the correct markings and weight limits would not make it illegal for road use, although aesthetics are often a point for contention in these cases!

22/209
Floyd Raser
2015-11-25T00:14:39Z
Well I've been and gone and done it!

I went to the SBS factory, had look around and got some reassurances that the trailer will be the right one. It's the DK2000 and comes with electrics and lightboard. The long cable from the board plugs into socket mounted on the A frame, then theres a shorter cable to the car.

There are also waterproof LED sidelights fitted as standard as they are now compulsary. Quite rightly IMO.

There is also a hitchlock supplied. With VAT added and 10% discount (for ordering before the end of November) total price was £2,549 and it should be ready in February. I'm happy with that and now I just need a couple of 8m straps and a wheel clamp.

I hope this info helps someone else pondering over what to do about a trailer.

The only downer is that I have to wait until next April to fetch the boat and start using it. 😞

Shockwave
2015-12-06T22:06:04Z
Hi Floyd,

Probably to late now, but we've just decided to sell our RM trailer. Its set up for a Parker 275. all the lights, etc(not LED) are good.If any Parker people are looking for an interesting Christmas

present.....

Floyd Raser
2015-12-07T19:25:59Z
Hi Shockwave,

Yep, too late but thanks anyway.

Good luck.

Jim Hatton
2015-12-09T22:36:50Z
Hi Shockwave,

I'm in the process of collecting the bits I need to create a road trailer for my 22, but if yours is within budget it would make more sense to me... do you have a price in mind? Where are you based?

22/209