Jake
  • Jake
  • Member Topic Starter
2015-11-23T18:41:55Z
This has come up before, the lower gudgeon on my 275 is beginning to wear and looks like it needs replacing. I've looked at SeaSure gudgeons, but they are not the right size. Has anyone found a supplier that will do bespoke replacement gudgeons or found a/ the supplier that provides the correct size?

They are incredibly sturdy, more so than most gudgeon's I've found on the web.

Jake
Jake Lyne
DickG
2015-11-23T20:15:49Z
Is your concern play between the rudder stock and the gudgeon bracket? If so, I had a similar problem but have overcome it by changing the M12 through-bolt to an M8 one, and fitting Delrin or UHMWPE bushes - one from the bottom and one from the top of each gudgeon. I turned the bushes to be a tight fit in the worn holes in the gudgeons, and tightish on the M8 bolts. The first set, installed about 3 years ago, have now worn a bit on the bottom gudgeon, so I am replacing those this winter. The top gudgeon bushes are still fine.

It's a very easy solution if you have a small lathe, or know someone with one. I used 20-25mm rod, so I ended up with a flange that sat against the gudgeon under the bolt head or nut.

Hope that helps.
Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36
Jake
  • Jake
  • Member Topic Starter
2015-11-24T10:23:52Z
Thanks Dick
That sounds like a much better solution than replacing the gudgeon. Would it be possible to see a picture?
Jake Lyne
DickG
2015-11-25T16:39:04Z
Originally Posted by: Jake 

Thanks Dick
That sounds like a much better solution than replacing the gudgeon. Would it be possible to see a picture?

I don't have a photo at the moment, but I'll probably be at the boat later this week, and will send one then.

I have a sketch of the bushes in the pdf attached. I turned a plug gauge, with various diameter steps, to find the best diameters for the bush OD. The ones shown on the sketch are the ones for Dark Star, so yours will probably be different. The only other thing is that for ease of fitting I put a taper on the end of both the OD and the ID so things were easier to line up and get into place.

Regards

PS

Photos of upper gudgeon showing bushes here:-
https://www.dropbox.com/...DT6bFPSccouZ-ZauvTa?dl=0 
Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36