Clifford Miller
2017-05-01T15:57:55Z
I need to replace the wooden tiller on Abacus (Parker 275/58) as there is a large horizontal crack at the rudder stock end from just before the bolt to the aft end of the tiller. Discovered at Bembridge Rally on Saturday.
Grateful if anyone could share experience or advice on possible suppliers.
I am also investigating possible repair.
Thanks, Clifford Miller
philip linsell
2017-05-01T19:23:17Z
Clifford
I have made new tillers for my last 2 boats, so the issue is not who makes it, any reasonable joiner will be able to create the shape needed, made easier as the old one is still in one piece.
The only issue is obtaining a piece of suitable hardwood. I used ash for my first and a piece of mahogany type hardwood for the second.Some hardwoods such as sapele are short grained and weak. Ash is very strong and tough but discolours if the bare wood is exposed to the weather. Teak would be excellent but may be difficult to obtain.
Good luck with your quest.
Philip
PeterDann
2017-05-02T16:01:44Z
Hi Clifford

http://www.shulmeandsons.co.uk/ .

I've kept the old tiller as a spare, with some extra glue in the crack and couple of screws through to stop it splitting further. Keeping it very tight in the rudder stock would appear to be essential, so the new one has a piece of ProTect tape on each side so it can be completely snug yet also lift without wrecking the varnish.

Hope that helps

Peter

Peter Dann
Blue Moon 325/32
David Smith
2017-05-02T22:17:18Z
Hi,
I keep Blythe Spirit at Thornham Marina.
I would highly recommend Steve Hulme.
He is very skilled and produces high calibre work!
I known him for 5 plus years!
Can testify to his skills and workmanship.

David
Clifford Miller
2017-05-03T08:44:35Z
Many thanks David,
See my 2nd posting on responses to my enquiry. I will file this. As you will see going for a repair for rest of this season and will then sort out a new tiller over winter. Steve Hulme also recommended by another Parker owner.
Best wishes, Clifford
DickG
2017-05-03T18:04:52Z
When mine was broken, probably by a passing boat clouting the rudder wile on the drying mooring, I initially shortened it as a stop-gap then made a replacement. The replacement used 3 layers, mahogany top and bottom with pitch pine in the middle. As the tiller is basically straight it's not too difficult. I ran the wood through a friend's planer/thicknesser which made the lamination easy. Lots of epoxy and 2-pot PU have given it a pretty durable finish.

Tiller drawing 2 final.tc2.pdf (97kb) downloaded 48 time(s).
PICT0001.jpg

Click to View Image57 View(s)

PICT0002_2.jpg

Click to View Image71 View(s)

IMG_0170.jpg

Click to View Image73 View(s)

Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36
Clifford Miller
2017-05-07T09:40:05Z
Dick,
Many thanks for this info and the drawing. Clifford