AndySutton
2017-08-14T11:55:18Z
I am looking for some advice around the Skeg on a Parker 27.

My Parker 27 (no. 121) does not have the stainless skeg fitting (which I have seen on other Parkers) fitted to the moulded skeg. It looks like there was one there once so I guess it was removed/broke.

Obviously the boat will sit quite happily in soft mud without adversely affecting the propeller/shaft.
Was the additional skeg fitted to protect the propeller and shaft when drying out on a hard surface or was it there just for directional stability under power with no keel down?

Can the boat be dried out on a hard surface without fear of damage if the skeg is not fitted - ie. will the boat lie with the propeller off the hard surface?

If not does anyone know what sort of load is likely to exist on the skeg in order that I could get an appropriate fitting manufactured?

Any advice appreciated
Andy
Marvin Kowalewski
2017-08-14T15:52:46Z
Hi Andy...In the Florida Keys, because of the coral, it was a help. But for racing and general sand bottom, I took mine off years ago...I was working on cleaning up any drag on the boat...more important to have a good folding prop.
I can give you all the dimensions if you still want to proceed.

Marvin Kowalewski
Parker 27 The Happy Seal
USA

Marvin Kowalewski, Ph.D
AndySutton
2017-08-25T11:10:29Z
Thanks for the reply.
I assume then that the prop would hit bottom if the boat dried out on a hard surface - unless a folding prop was fitted - ie the boat will rest on the skeg.
Andy
Marvin Kowalewski
2017-08-26T12:05:39Z

I have dried out once and the boat sat on it's belly and seemed to list backwards. On sand the skeg digs in as it is basically a blade hanging down from the prop shaft fairing piece. The width of the fairing seemed to sit flat on the sand. It did an ok job of supporting the rear..on mud it may just sink in but I never tried it.Check with fellow 27s for the skeg performance on mud.

Marv Kowalewski

Marvin Kowalewski, Ph.D