Liam
  • Liam
  • Member Topic Starter
2017-08-29T13:12:00Z
Good afternoon all.

I am new to this forum and considering purchasing a 235 but need to get a suitable trailer. I am prepared to buy a 2nd hand trailer and will look to convert. Any guidance or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you Liam

John Edwards
2017-08-30T14:12:59Z
Hi Liam and welcome to the forum. You will find it a most helpful and useful site for advice etc

I have had my 235 for over 6 years and I am absolutely delighted with it.

I can't really help with trailer advice. I have a single axil trailer but don't really move the boat (out of the water that is) other than from the boatyard to the water, so can't offer any advice. I'm sure there is somebody else out there who can.

Happy sailing

John

235/07 Diamond

Liam
  • Liam
  • Member Topic Starter
2017-08-30T17:17:37Z
John

Many thanks for your reply. If I could trouble you with a couple more queries as the boat i am looking at is a similar age to yours:

How large is the aft double berth? Can 2 adults fit in it?

When raising and lowering the mast, how long does it typically take you and what tools/device do you use for assisting? I assume a small block and tackle set plus the Spinnaker pole could suffice.

What ageing characteristics has your boat been plagued with that I should look out for, if any?

Cheers Liam

Liam
  • Liam
  • Member Topic Starter
2017-08-30T20:07:30Z
John. Noticing that you are in Dorset, wandering if we could catch up at some stage. I live next to Parkstone YC and would be grateful for a couple of words of advice before I commit to buy.

John Edwards
2017-09-03T09:32:24Z
Hi Liam,

Sorry for the delay in responding.

I live in Broadstone and my boat is currently on a swing mooring in the creek at Rockley. My email is john.edwards@live.co.uk if you want to get in touch. Very happy to meet-up and go for a little sail if you would like. The only trouble is that I am away on holiday from Wednesday for a week, so anytime after that.

Concerning your initial queries. The aft berth is pretty small and I would suggest only suitable for one adult or perhaps 2 small children. Others might think differently. I use it more for storage, spinnaker etc. I tend to day-sail, which in this area is great fun - the lifting keel is very useful in Poole!!

Not really an expert on the ups and owns of the mast; only done it once, but I bought the boat from 2 ladies and they said they did it regularly. I am sure others can comment on the ease/difficulty.

So far, touch wood, no major dramas with an older boat, except to replace the outboard, which despite being serviced regularly, seized-up on me and was not really economical to repair! The usual annual activities, replacing ropes etc, a new sacrificial strip for the foresail, repairs to the dodgers etc. but nothing you would not expect.

Hope this helps

John

235/07 Diamond

Liam
  • Liam
  • Member Topic Starter
2017-09-04T21:27:18Z
Thanks John. A very useful insight. I will email you direct.