sean
  • sean
  • Member Topic Starter
2007-05-18T20:55:30Z
Does anyone know if the parker 27/275 are self righting, and does anyone know of a good mod to keep the keel down in case of a inversion
2007-05-18T22:07:52Z
Sean - not sure how it would work, but my 235 has a KEEL LOCK DOWN ROD" which I ordered when new. It is simply an aluminium tube that drops down the keel slot and fastens with a bolt at the top to physically prevent the keel coming back through the slot if inverted. It would be very easy to adapt a similar system I'm sure...

Don't know about teh self-righting....

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
Tim Reeder
2007-05-20T18:08:09Z
Sean

Parkers do sell a lock down device for the 275. The idea would be to stop the keel starting to move the wrong way if you were rolled over.

I doubt if you were unlucky enough to be rolled by a wave that you would be unlucky enough to end up upside down!

I have managed to get the mast fairly far down by tying figure of eight knots in my spinnaker sheets when I first got a spinnaker. Not advised - you don't want to hear the whole story!

I have sailed Speedwell a long way including around the Raz de Sein etc and have never even thought about the issue - haven't got a lock down system. I have in a good force five come back across the channel with the keel half up to try to get home quicker! I suppose at the end of the day the best thing to do is try to avoid the worst conditions.

Tim (Speedwell 275)