stewartgibbons
2018-10-26T17:24:55Z
Took Shivra out of the water last week and started on maintenance schedule before the cold weather arrives.
I removed the rectangular cap which allows access into the void / space in front of the keel box for the first time since I have owned her.
Why is that space there? it doesn't seem to serve any purpose and contains what seems to be some metal ballast does anyone know the reason the boat was constructed in this way?
Regards
Stewart Gibbons
Geoff Harwood
2018-10-28T15:13:53Z
It puzzled me too on P21/30 Cygnus. I guessed that it is something to do with the way the ballast is introduced between the cabin floor and the hull. The floor is totally unyielding and gives the impression that it is solid right through. Maybe it is filled with a mixture of resin and metal punchings?

Geoff
stewartgibbons
2018-10-28T17:43:46Z
Thanks for your response Geoff, have you ever found any water in there? I have some and would like to find out where it is comung from.
Stewart
Matthias.kro
2018-10-28T17:45:00Z
In front of the keelbox there is thick resin from floor to box I think to strengthen this area. If you run aground with the keel down, the front topside of the kell will press to this area. Left an right on mine (21/85) there ist resin mixed with little iron rolls for internal ballast (and trimm?).
Between the cabin floor and the hull behind the keelbox there is a hard putty in - no resin.

Matthias
Scoglietto
JustinT
2021-08-21T19:04:42Z
I have a Seal 28 with the same space up the front and it was full of water ready to spill over our feet in the bed.
Drained the water away but I expect it will fill again.
Seal 28 - "Veterata 2"
Steven
2023-08-31T11:27:46Z
I realise this is an older thread but just as I’m about to launch I’ve come across this very same rectangle lid/section. Is there any specific advice anyone can offer in addition to the above? Does this section regularly fill with water as is also mentioned above? I guess I’m after some calming advice as I’m having a squabble with my paranoia right now. I jest; well, sort of.
P21 / 30