PaulBurton
2007-06-23T10:38:31Z
Last weekend we headed in to Gibraltor point, into shallow water. We lifted the keel up and I released the down haul on the rudder. I put one turn around the downhaul cleat to keep the rope clear of the engine.

The rudder touched the bottom and the turn gripped the cleat. The cleated ended up about 30 foot behind us..

I have bought a clamcleat that will release under load....but it will only take upto 6mm rope. So I need to change the downhaul rope to 6mm....

Will post pics if it all works...

Taking the boat out this week ready for our trip to Brixham...This time in 2 weeks we will be moored in Brixham marina....

Paul Burton.

Parker 235/ 40 Lady Penelope...

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
PaulBurton
2007-07-16T07:39:51Z
Got it all fitted and works perfect......only problem is I can't take any photos as we have left the boat down on the solent for the next month. Will post pics when I next get to see her.

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
PaulBurton
2007-08-11T16:00:19Z
My new system is working a treat...will post pictures (eventually) (I do miss having the boat on the drive)

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
PaulBurton
2007-09-06T19:35:26Z
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
PaulBurton
2007-09-06T19:39:50Z
There you go.....

You can see how it works....and it really does work well.

You can also see my modified mast support, it allows me to steer while the mast is down.

The electric outboard is for Rutland water tomorrow....

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
James Hamilton
2007-09-24T13:29:15Z
Paul

On advice, I have done the same with the following differences
- No Knots after the clamcleat (doesn't the knot jamb in the guide and stop the rudder rising?)
- I kept the original downhaul and tied the new smaller diameter rope to the old rope with (I think) a rolling hitch. This is because I prefer the bigger dia rope to haul the rudder down, and I wasn't sure if the new rope would be strong enough. This way I've still got the old arrangement available if the water is deep and it's a bit rough. Will try and get some pictures this weekend.

I haven't quite worked out how best to tidy up the slack end of the old rope.

Jim H

http://freespace.virgin....james.hamilton/forum.jpg 
PaulBurton
2007-09-24T17:06:24Z
Those pictures are with the rudder fully up so the knots are fine.

Good idea about keeping the original but I could see that you could have spare rope hanging around. I have done a few hundred miles since and the rudder has only come up when touched the bottom.

Paul Burton.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
Gilliane Sills
2007-09-24T19:51:55Z
We use the same clamcleat on Miss Fidget's rudder downhaul, but we've tied the original downhaul to a double fiddle block, fastened a single pulley block to the underside of the tiller towards the forward end, and then run a smaller diameter, 6mm line from the becket on the forward single block, round the aft fiddle block, then round the forward single block, back to the aft fiddle block and then forward to the cleat, which is fixed under the tiller aft of the single pulley block. That gives us a three to one purchase, so that the thinner line never takes the full downhaul load, and it's easy to pull the rudder down if it comes up. The release load on the clamcleat is set very low. This has worked very well this season.

Gilliane

Miss Fidget, Super Seal 26, no. 69
Delphine, Parker 275, no. 41
James Hamilton
2007-10-04T18:57:44Z
Paul

Just the pictures as pomised
UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Gilliane's arrangement however sounds more the arrangement

Jim Hamilton

http://freespace.virgin....james.hamilton/forum.jpg