David Pocock
2007-07-23T11:38:18Z
We are getting so little sun up here that for a forthcoming 10-14 day trip I have decided not to risk relying on my 35W solar panel and the rather anaemic output of my Tohatsu 5hp saildrive to keep the battery topped up. So I have ordered a Honda EU10i generator which I intend to use to power a good battery charger.

I have the standard Parker electrical setup (75A battery) with a NASA BM-1 battery monitor. Should I simply clip the charger leads to the battery terminals with everything else wired up? Or should I disconnect the battery completely for charging?

Grateful for any advice.

David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
2007-07-24T10:52:06Z
Hi David,

I'm not sure but think you're safer disconnecting the battery from the system to protect your regulator / solar panel.

To make it easier you could fit those 'instant' battery clamps that clip the positive and negative leads to the battery and save you tightening bolts every time - Gael Force do them (page 97!) £8.99.

Sorry to say we are getting loads of sun over this side!!!!

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
David Pocock
2007-07-24T11:34:46Z
Hello Stephen

The trip I mentioned is down the Caledonian Canal, up past Mull and right round the top through the Pentland Firth back to Inverness. Quite sporty in a 235!

You will appreciate why I have gone for a generator as there is a dearth of mains power available en route.

Depending on the weather, might be in Tobermory on Tuesday or Wednesday night. Will look out for Exodus. Am I likely to find a free visitor mooring then?

David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
2007-07-25T09:49:04Z
Hi David,

There is usually a visitor mooring available and we have a brand new pontoon (last week!) with power and water (and nearby fuel).

Go to www.tobermoryharbour.co.uk  for all details - great site.

HOWEVER, do be aware that West Highland Yachting Week begins this Friday 27th and they are in Tobermory Wed 1st and Thurs 2nd August. It is CHAOS, 160+ boats / several hundred people and wall to wall mooring, so you MIGHT want to avoid those nights!

Check their website for other potential conflicts en route, ie Oban.

Good luck with your trip, will watch out for you!

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
Don Harvey
2007-07-26T12:56:18Z
David

I don't think there is any need to disconnect anything. On my 325 I have a solar panel connected to one of my batteries via a regulator. I also have a built-in mains driven 30A battery charger (when in a marina) and, of course, the alternator from the diesel engine. I certainly don't play around disconnecting battery leads.

Regards
Don Harvey
Web Master
Parker 325 'Calypso'
Regards
Don Harvey
PaulBurton
2007-07-26T13:05:22Z
I agree....just connect and charge....don't disconnect anything...
Just don't use huge 12v loads while the charger is connected...

Paul Burton.

Parker 235/ 40 Lady Penelope...

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
David Pocock
2007-07-26T13:38:08Z
Thanks Don and Paul. I will let you know how I get on.

For weekend day-sailing, the solar panel, even with the awful summer, has kept my battery fully charged despite quite heavy use (VHF, plotter, autohelm).

David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
David Pocock
2007-08-13T17:48:14Z
As it happens, capacity was not that much of a problem but the little Honda works very well. It fits into a 235's cockpit locker and runs so quietly that you can sit in the cockpit while it is charging the battery.

My charger is not that powerful but it recharged the battery from 80% to 105% in less than an hour.

David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa