Liam
  • Liam
  • Member Topic Starter
2023-04-07T09:13:51Z
Having recently acquired 275/34 (Previously known as Lady Penelope, now known as Aishling A). I'm shortly to have her lifted out of the water for the first time. I was lead to believe by the previous owner that she continues to rely upon her original crystic copperclad, although both he and I are uncertain on this point. I did beach her back in November when first bought, to remove the beard and things did not look too bad, but this will be the first time I will get a proper look see. I am now in the process of prepping a list of all the jobs to undertake whilst she is out, such as: new wc skin fitting: new log/transducer; new anodes; hull polish; new vinyl; new swim ladder; new rudder control lines; checking rudder pintel and gudgeon, (Keel was serviced two years ago). But what to do with the bottom? I have never heard of copperbot lasting 30 years, so I am keen to know of others' experiences and if faced with the need to replace the copperclad what did you do?

Once I've got all of this done, I have apparently to get on and sell my 235, its creating too much shade in the garden!

Many thanks. Liam

Ken Surplice
2023-04-07T18:29:56Z
Hi Liam, I once had a Parker 21. I’m not sure how old she was when she came into my hands but it wasn’t so many years. Following the advice of others, I refreshed the copperbot hull with a Pex orbital sander. When craning out at the end of the season…oh dear. It looked like 10,000 decaying rubber gloves had been stuck to the bottom. After that episode I applied primer and then eroding anti foul.

I’m still copperbot curious. Some love it. Some do not. But it will not last 30 years for sure.

Ken
Liam
  • Liam
  • Member Topic Starter
2023-04-07T20:55:32Z
Thanks Ken. I suspect that to be the way forward. Will keep you posted.

Whiteheat
2023-04-15T15:03:59Z
Hi Liam,

I have a 285 CopperCoat hull. The coating is 5 years old and, from my experience with annual anti foul previously, it’s not as good even when relatively new. The theory is that it lasts 10 years. I am doubting that from my experience on the Orwell. A lift and blast is needed every 8 weeks in the season. The good news is that the prep includes gelcoat stripping and epoxy coating, so it’s osmosis free at least!

Liam
  • Liam
  • Member Topic Starter
2023-04-15T20:12:28Z
Jon. Thanks for your response. She has now been lifted out and I have been able to inspect the bottom. In fact I have just spent 6 hours under her, removing the antifouling that she was coated in. I have got down to the original copperclad in places, but not everywhere. On reflection, I think I am going to prime her and then use Seajet Hard Racing as opposed to coppercoat. A straw poll of my fellow local sailors provides a divided opinion on what is best.

I now have more pressing matters, as when I navigated towards the slip for haul out, I lowered the keel to the max, sadly the keel wire snapped, so another repair added to my list!