Gilliane Sills
2023-09-09T21:02:33Z
We have Delphine for sale on this webite and also on Boats and Outboards. Yesterday I received a completed pro-forma from Boats and Outboards, asking me to contact a potential buyer. I sent an email and received the message below in return. I'm sure it's a scam, although I don't know the exact details. A cheque takes time to clear fully, so that it's possible for a sum of money to appear in my account and then subsequently be removed again. I think there are two possible scenarios in this case:
1 a sum larger than £26500 would be deposited in my bank account. with a request that I refund the difference.
2 I would be asked to fund the 'Transporter' temporarily, with the promise that I would be refunded.
The sum deposited in my account would be withdrawn, perhaps after a week or more, and any money paid out in either of the above scenarios woud be lost. The 'buyer' would disappear without trace.

I appreciate that this isn't a problem that will affect many people at the moment, but I thought it was worth warning everyone to be aware of scams.

Gilliane
Delphine P275, no 41

GOOD MORNING,

Thanks for getting back to me.

After going through the content of the advert and the conditions as seen on the Advert Information.

I am willing to offer £26,500 for the asking Price.

I am sorry I couldn't come to view Myself before making the purchase.
The kind of work I do doesn't permit me time to come over and take a look at it.

It will be used by my First son in Monaco.

You don't have to worry yourself about the Transportation, My Transporter will take care of shipping and pick up as soon as you confirm the Bank Cheque is Cleared by your Bank and Cash available for use.

Please let me know if there is any other payment like, the tax charges, etc that will be added to it.

It will be used by My son for his personal business.

Payment will be done via a Bank Cheque so kindly get back to me with the details to make out the Draft which will be issued and sent to you from London within the next 48hrs.

Name to Be Written on The Cheque
Address To Send the Bank Cheque
Your Phone Number.

All necessary documentation will be done on my behalf by My Transporter that will be coming for the pick up.

Please rest assured that the Payment will get to you within the next couple of working days.

I will expect your reply as soon as possible. That will enable me to issue the payment immediately.

Regards,
DORIS
Delphine, Parker 275, no. 41
johniow
2023-09-10T11:04:59Z
Hi Gilliane, 99.999% it's a scam. Often used for high value sales. "First" son, Monaco. Wise to avoid and not give bank details. Unless you have a hidden offshore account ... Regards, John
Nosey - Parker 325-26
Martin Watson
2023-09-11T15:25:54Z
Best way to avoid any hassle is to ask for a Bankers Draft made out in your name which you can then deposit into your account. It cannot be claimed back once deposited into your account by you as the purchaser pays for the Bankers Draft to his bank or another provider. In addition, you do not then need to provide any bank details to the purchaser. If you ask for that method of payment and the purchaser refuses, then it is very likely a scam. It can be sent via a wire transfer so would only take a day or two, certainly no longer than paying by cheque.
Martin Watson