DirkB
  • DirkB
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2023-10-12T07:04:54Z
Can anyone explain what the function is of the notch and ring on the top of the rudder blade? There is nothing attached to while sailing. Is it perhaps used to secure the blade when having to remove the pivoting bold?

IMG_3974 groot.jpeg

Click to View Image2 View(s)

IMG_3975 groot.jpeg

Click to View Image13 View(s)

Sandack
2023-10-16T14:18:40Z
Dirk

The notch coincides with a hole in the stainless steel rudder stock and allows a pin to be put through, trapping the rudder in the full down position. This is good in that it removes reliance on the cam cleat (ours has let go occasionally) but you would have to remember to remove the pin when in shallow waters. Our notch does not have a fitting in it.

Ewan

DirkB
  • DirkB
2023-10-16T20:43:11Z
Thank you Ewan. However, our rudder stock doesn’t have a hole I think.
Sandack
2023-10-17T08:20:18Z
It's the small hole just below the push-rod bracket. I think I see it in your photo.
DirkB
  • DirkB
2023-10-17T08:46:04Z
I see it now. Great this forum! Learn a lot about my Parker. Thanks!
barry.tiernan
2023-10-18T15:53:16Z
Notch in Rudder

Hi

When I acquired "Sulito" 325 it had a metal bolt that would slot into the notch

However Pascal (From Paimpol France, Maruli 325) suggested at the time that if you grounded hard you would either damage the rudder or the rudder stock. He used a wooden dowel (8mm) which in the event of grounding the rudder hard, the dowel will break and so protect the rudder and stock

I brought a length of 8mm round dowel from B&Q and cut several sacrificial lengths, just pine nothing special

I put a small hole in one end and tie on the back rail, works a treat. I am still on the original dowel 5 years later

But it does hold the rudder from popping up and if moving into shallow water you can release the cleat and the wooden dowel will hold the rudder in place. A very sensible option, we can thank Pascal for his idea

Regards

Barry Tiernan

DirkB
  • DirkB
2023-10-19T06:25:45Z
That’s a very good idea. I will also buy a length of 8mm dowel and remove the current clamp from the top of the rudder blade.

I already wondered how to keep the blade down while releasing the rudder downhaul in shallow water. I already had situations where I lifted the keel to a level where the rudder blade must have must have been the lowest point (about 1.20m). Fortunately the blade never touched a hard bottom so far.