Terry Gates
2007-08-28T11:48:54Z
The 40Ah "leisure" battery on my P21 has finally given up the ghost after years of well-intentioned neglect. I am trying to buy a replacement but so far have only managed to find ordinary car batteries that will fit in the battery compartment.

The old battery has dimensions length 240mm x width 130mm x height 210mm and this is the problem! It is the size of the old ford and mini car batteries.

I would consider spending the extra cash on a deep cycle battery if I could find one, in the hope that it would take greater discharge without failing. But at the moment anything would be better than what I have.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Terry Gates
"Kitty" P21 No. 99
Terry Gates
"Kitty" P21 No. 99
PaulBurton
2008-03-24T18:06:21Z
I am going to add a battery box into the compartment in the step area.
I have unscrewed and removed the large storage box and there is space to fit a 85Ah leisure battery in a battery box with a lid.
I am going to do away with the standard battery and use the box for storage.
It will be mounted slightly lower and more central within the boat.
I am going to add a vent to avoid any gases being contained.
I am also installing shore power and will fit a charger/power pack within this area.
I will post some pictures as I go on.

Anyone see any problems with my idea. ?

Paul Burton.

Parker 21 Papillon.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
PaulBurton
2008-04-03T20:49:29Z
UserPostedImage

Sorry about the picture quality. (phone)

Done.

I have moved the battery and upgraded it to a 85Ah leisure battery, put it in a battery box and secured it.
The switch at the back is ready for when I buy a shore power charger/power pack.
I have fitted a Nasa BM-1.
The 12v outlet next to the 12v isolator is always one and protected buy an in-line fuse, I will plug a solar panel into it when the boat is not in use.
I have added a vent so any charging gasses don't build up.
I have also added a 240v socket for shore power.
The original storage box/step fits back in, a few screws need to be undone to get to the battery.

Paul Burton.

Parker 21 Papillon.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
Terry Gates
2008-06-05T17:39:28Z
I like what you have done and probably should have done something like that myself, but I'm afraid that I took the quick and easy way out and bought the deep-cycle battery. It has worked pretty well for me so far, but only time (and probably more battery neglect) will tell!

Terry Gates
"Kitty" P21 No. 99
Terry Gates
"Kitty" P21 No. 99