John Elliott
2007-09-11T14:53:27Z
The carpet headlining on Cascada is falling down in several places and depositing some unpleasant black, very sticky residue, after it.

I had in mind to install some strategically placed "penny" washers with the shortest self-tappers I can find ( about 15mm). The coachroof/deck at the edge where I am installing the "blade" tracks is about 20mm thick, but is that true everywhere, including the base of the anchor well for example? Has anybody devised a simple elegant solution to this annoying little problem?

275/30 "Cascada"
275/30 "Cascada"
Tim Reeder
2007-09-11T23:24:10Z
John

Unfortunately this is a perennial problem with headlinings on 275s when they get older. Also the carpet tends to come off in many places as the foam backing degrades with age.

I have followed some advice from a colleague and have stuck it back with professional carpet adhesive. I have useed trade tack and trade grip, which I get from a firm called in Gosport Hawke House Marine - www.hawkehouse.com . It works quite well avoiding the need to scrape all the old foam off. Unfortunately after a couple of years it can fall off again if you are unlucky. I don't know of any better answers.

Thoughts from anyone welcome.

Tim Reeder
peter lowry
2007-09-19T14:46:20Z
Hi all
About 4 year ago i relined the inside of "Cleo" ,after removing all the old lining and using it as a template to cut the new lining.
i used a product bought in B and Q

it is made be evostick , it is a water based product which means any excess can be wiped off and u can push the material into the corners and push air bubbles out etc.

The beauty of this product is once it hardens it is like the provable to a blanket and does not move although to edges now seem to lift a little

it is called flooring adhesive comes in a 5ltr tub bout £10.00 per tub ,just spread it on the gel coat with a spreader and push material on it
it has worked very well for my

Peter Lowry
Cleo #21 superseal 26
Tim Howard
2007-09-21T19:41:22Z
Hi John. I have had exactly the same problem this year - and interestingly my 275 is No 29, so perhaps it's an age thing. I used a spray on glue available from upholstery shops - recommended by a professional marine upholsterer. Much easier than using Bostik or equivalent. It was quick and easy to use, and took well to the rather grotty backing of the carpet headlining.
sean
2007-09-22T09:49:18Z
tim did you just glue the old headlining back up without removing the old foam and glue.
reason i ask is i am about to have ago at the same job on my P27
John Elliott
2007-09-23T15:12:50Z
Hi Tim,

Does this product have a name? It sounds just the thing!

275/30 "Cascada"
275/30 "Cascada"
rayedge
2007-09-23T15:42:25Z
quote:
Originally posted by John Elliott

The carpet headlining on Cascada is falling down in several places and depositing some unpleasant black, very sticky residue, after it.

I had in mind to install some strategically placed "penny" washers with the shortest self-tappers I can find ( about 15mm). The coachroof/deck at the edge where I am installing the "blade" tracks is about 20mm thick, but is that true everywhere, including the base of the anchor well for example? Has anybody devised a simple elegant solution to this annoying little problem?

275/30 "Cascada"

rayedge
2007-09-23T15:56:56Z
We had the same problem on Rascal, our 275. The first fix we tried was to use spray adhesive which worked for about six months before the lining started to fall off again. Our next solution, which has worked really well, was to pull down the carpet lining leaving it attached on one side, rub off all the loose nasty black stuff (this mustn't get on the nice side of the carpet as it is a 'b****r' to get off, a vaccum cleaner helps). Then we used Copydex to glue the lining back. This is a water based latex adhesive and doesn't have contain solvents (Which is why I think it works well and also has the benefit of being OK in a confined space). The carpet has been back up for two seasons now and shows no sign of loosening.
Tim Reeder
2007-09-24T20:40:30Z
Hi John

Yes As in my original post the product is called trade grip and trade tack - available from Hawke House marine.

Cheers

Tim

quote:

Hi Tim,

275/30 "Cascada"

John Elliott
2007-09-25T20:41:09Z
Ray,

That sounds just the ticket. I have used Copydex at some time in the distant past to stop the cut edge of carpet fraying. Rather a distinctive whiff if I recall!

275/30 "Cascada"
275/30 "Cascada"
Tim Howard
2007-10-07T18:35:53Z
quote:

Hi Tim,

275/30 "Cascada"

Tim Howard
2007-10-07T18:44:00Z
Hi John. Sorry not to reply sooner - working away. The spray product I used came from the Fabric Warehouse chain of shops, and is just called 'Spray Adhesive' on the can. Like Ray Edge, I found the crumbling rubber on the back of the carpet a real nuisance, and a sod to get off if you got it on other surfaces. I took each area of carpet off in turn carefully, and gave it a good brushing on a pontoon, before re-gluing it. It has lasted a season without any problems so far. Tim
kate.hattersley
2008-09-09T08:38:07Z
AArgh! This awful wet summer has been so damp that my boat is getting mildew on the cabin roof and all the carpet is falling down in the focsle and quarter berth and smells damp and horrible. I think the solution is either emigration or renewing the lot! The later will be less stressful. maybe I'll recover the cushions too.

Kate
Kate
John Elliott
2008-09-09T09:12:09Z
Hi Kate,

I glued back my drooping headlining in early June using spray adhesive. I completely removed a couple of pieces and scraped off the crumbling rubber backing, but on the rest I did what I thought would be a temporary job just spraying both surfaces "as is".
All the treated areas are breaking down again, although those where I did the more thorough job seem better than the others as one would expect.

I believe the complete removal, scrape off, and reapply with a quality contact adhesive like copydex, is probably the only long-term solution.

275/30 "Cascada"
275/30 "Cascada"
John Williams
2008-09-09T13:27:28Z
Hi Kate

Try "Star Bright Mildew Stain Remover". It's pricey but fantastic stuff. My lining hasn't started coming down yet luckily.

John Williams
275/60 CRYSTAL
John Williams
GWENLLI
Beneteau 323
Geoff Harwood
2008-09-09T15:42:47Z
Tikatak Vinyl carpet & Cork Adhesive from B&Q worked a treat on my P21. I think the lining must be the same stuff as yours and I managed to get the old foam off with a hoover though a fair bit did fall off in the boat. I'm still clearing that up!

Geoff
kate.hattersley
2008-11-24T08:41:11Z
Well I have grasped the nettle and removed all the carpet from the quarterberth and forecabin. The crumbly sponge backing is easy to hoover off but the glue is really hard to remove from the inside of the hull. A mixture of wire brushing and chisel seems most effective. I'm scared to apply heat in case I melt the boat! Any tips welcome but I suspect this is one of those horrible jobs that just take time and effort. I hope the end result is worth it!

Kate
Kate
John Elliott
2008-11-24T09:46:58Z
Kate,
Well done on getting started! Its horrid isn't it? Last June I gave up on trying to remove the goo and muck from the glassfibre. Will be interested to see what it takes.
Please keep us posted on progress. I probasbly won't get to mine again until after Christmas, as the boat is only being moved to her winter quarters ( weather permitting) next weekend.

275/30 "Cascada"
275/30 "Cascada"
Tim Reeder
2008-11-24T17:07:28Z
Kate John

I have carried on avoiding the really difficult work and just using trade tack and trade grip wothout removing all the old stuff and gunge. It wroks quite well, but there are one or two spots where it is difficult to peel back the carpet - like near the blade tracks. I might try the screw and penny washer idea but I am not sure how thick the gelcoat is. Still I suppose the worst case is to drill right through and then fill with gel coat filler!

Any magical solutions very welcome.

Tim
chris nichols
2008-11-24T23:13:41Z
Hi folks,
i renewed all the linings in my P27 last winter. to remove the glue from the grp I used an abrasive wheel supplied by Hawke House. This fitted on a small angle grinder and really worked well but fills the boat with dust but as I had stripped the boat out hovering out was possible.
The most important mod was to improve the ventilation though the boat.
i copied P27/151 idea of having a small plastimo dorado vent fitten in the anchor hatch, fitting a screw in hatch in the side of the anchor well and making sure air could get around the trim at the front of the forward berths. Opening the screw hatch when at anchor/mooring and pointing the dorado into the wind gives a good through draft and the boat has kept dry all summer and is still so now
Cheers
Chrisn