charlesclements
2007-10-13T11:57:57Z
i do a lot of single handed sailing in the 285 and been caught out in fog several times.
Has anyone fitted a Chartplotterin the cockpit?
If so would be grateful for any info regarding make and installation details.
I am thinking of flush mounting a C80 where the rope bag normmaly sits just below the winch on starboard side. Will shift bag to side.
Any comments welcome.

regards
charles clements

charles clements

Spartacus 285
charles clements

Spartacus 285
2007-10-13T13:21:28Z
Hi Charles,I Have A Navman 5600 Plotter On My P-27.I Mounted It On A Piece Of Teak Which I Then Hinged On To A Block I Had Glued To The Bulkhead Inside The Companionway.The Teak Block Was To Bring The Plotter Clear Of The Handhold In The Compaiionway.I Have A Clip Which Holds The Unit To The Bulkhead.It Can Be Swung Out And Rests Level With The Companionway.A Small Household Bolt And Receiver Locks It In Place.It Can Be Seen Clearly From Tiller.The Cables Are Left Long Enough To Allow For Swinging Out.Regards.Tom Fitzgerald.
Don Harvey
2007-10-13T17:50:27Z
Charles

Perhaps you could consider a Geonav plotter. No too clear a picture but you can see it in use on on my ex-325 - see http://www.sealasc.org.uk/bbs/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=192 

The Geonav is a battery driven unit but can be supplied with 12 V from the ships supply.

Geonav units can be seen at
http://www.geonav.it/english/chartplotters/geonav4c.html 

The beauty is that the unit can be taken home for security.

Regards
Don Harvey
Web Master

Regards
Don Harvey
Graham Ebb
2007-10-15T12:43:24Z
Hi Charles,

We have a 235 as opposed to the larger space of the 285, but would agree with Tom's idea. We have mounted our GPS and VHF DSC on a bracket on the bulkhead adjacent to the companionway. This swings out into the companionway when sailing and we can see all the data from the tiller.
It has other advantages, we can see all the info from inside when we are below, so you can input GPS data etc, when sailing you can see the screen and hear the VHF, and reach it to answer without letting go of the tiller. You can also take the valuables home and just leave the bracket and cables. It works really well for us.

Hope this helps

Graham Ebb
235/25 Blue Jazz
PaulBurton
2007-10-16T08:08:03Z
I'd like to see your bracket Graham....could you post a pic if possible. Which plotter do you use.?

Thanks

Paul Burton.

Parker 235/ 40 Lady Penelope...

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
Graham Ebb
2007-10-17T09:24:02Z
Hi Paul,

I will take a few pictures next time we go sailing, probably Sunday if the weather is good. We use a Garmin GPS 76. Its not a chart plotter, just a hand held GPS, but it accepts connections from the boat supply and gives the data to the VHF DSC. It has quite a big screen for a hand held GPS.

Graham Ebb
235/25 Blue Jazz
charlesclements
2007-10-18T15:53:22Z
thanks for all your comments regarding chartplotter.

I have decided to flush mount the plotter on the starboard bulkhead
below the winch and move the rope bag to the side.
This has been done on a 285hs which is being sold at the moment {see magazine]
Interesting to hear the different options

regards
charles

charles clements

Spartacus 285
charles clements

Spartacus 285
Mike Edwards
2007-10-18T21:29:29Z
Hello Guys
I use a hand held GPS mounted in the cockpit, what seems a long time ago I made track files which when displayed on the GPS screen gave an outline of the Coast and Sand Banks, the Buoys were simply stored as waypoints (about 350 waypoints for the Thames area). If you want to see the effect check out this website.
http://www.swatchway.pwp.blueyo...mikes-files/roo2gps1.htm 
This is all a bit old hat now because the cost of plotters has come down so much. I now use my GPS in conjunction with a PC Laptop (chartplotter with a 15 inch screen)which is fitted into a case mounted on the table which forms the keel case top in my Seal 28. But I still use the tracks on the GPS as a backup to my PC Laptop failing. If any body is interested I can let them have a copy of any of the areas that I have traced.
I would always recommend Garmin.

Mike Edwards
Seal 28 "Aztec"
Mike Edwards
Seal 28 "Aztec"
kate.hattersley
2007-10-30T11:23:23Z
I went for the same option on my 275 of a Navman 5500 tracker fitted through the bulkhead on the starboard side above the halyard bag. In winter I take it home and leave the hole taped over. It is great when singlehanded or when racing as you don't need to go down to the chart table except for the hourly plot. Also helps with race timing as you can set the display to GPS clock for accurate starting. No downside except possibly risk of theft but only after undue violence as fastenings are on the inside of the bulkhead in the cabin (4 bolts).

Kate
Kate
Ken Surplice
2008-10-14T00:58:38Z
http://www.ram-mount-uk.com/ . Best of all - there are no holes to drill.

Ken
Ken