Ian A_Court
2007-10-27T13:41:30Z

I am sure this is a request made many times before, but as I am a relative new boy, I hope you will bear with me. I have an early-ish 22, with an inboard engine. Sail No.150 which I bought a couple of years ago. It has spent the last 12 months under cover waiting for me to “sort it out”

It is all very basic and tatty below. No galley or Loo etc.

Before spending loads of money and to avoid lots of mistakes, I would love to hear from owners who have layouts that they are happy with, and who would be happy to exchange photographs, drawings etc or even better still, allow me to visit and look over their craft.

I have the handbook but I’m sure there has been a lot more done since publication.

I can’t envisage ever having more than 3 adults asleep on board so would gladly lose some of the sleeping accommodation, has anyone considered converting one or more of the quarter berths into cockpit lockers?

Ian…….

Don Harvey
2007-11-09T15:56:12Z
Ian

Perhaps the latest posting on the web site re moulds for a cabin top and hatches may be of interest to you - see

http://www.sealasc.org.uk/maint...iding_hatch_of_a_Seal_22 

Regards

Don Harvey

Web Master

Regards

Don Harvey

Geoff Harwood
2007-11-10T13:25:03Z
Casting my mind back a bit to when I had Zalophus S/287 - we did once sleep 5 on board but we all ended up a bit frayed. First - Those quarter berths are the best berths on any yacht afloat so don't dream of turning them into leaky cockpit lockers, if you need somewhere for fenders, rope etc, do something across the back (I had a Merc 7.5 in the middle but it still worked OK).

2 berths to port and a quarter to stbd is the best 3. The forrard berth is triangular, in the loo, and doesn't have any headroom. The other saloon berth is in the way of the kettle for the morning cuppa.

No Contest!

Geoff Harwood P21/30 Cygnus (2 berths so long as no-one brings more than a toothbrush)

philip linsell
2007-12-11T17:42:43Z
Ian

I used to own Tulena (154)and cut in a cockpit locker. It shortened the bunk, which I used the front end of to form a better cooker and sink arrangement.This leaves a very good single on this side.

It worked well for me but I always sailed single handed so space was not a problem.

I am sure Clive the present owner would show off my handiwork.

Tulena spends the winter at Thornham Marina near Emsworth.

Philip Linsell

Tony Nield
2007-12-27T17:31:03Z
I agree with Geoff on this. I've had S22 'Dee Rover' for 20 years and although I have modified lots of things the (same) overall layout was fine as it was. I think on balance I would still go for a 'portapotti' up forward rather than a sea toilet-- no holes thro'hull--easy to take ashore for cleaning--no pollution of anchorages. However,I did once have a nasty case of "lavatory overboard" when I accidentally let go of it whilst emptying it over the transom and sailing singlehanded at the same time. It floated long enough for me to recover it, fortunately. Good practice!

quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Harwood

Casting my mind back a bit to when I had Zalophus S/287 - we did once sleep 5 on board but we all ended up a bit frayed. First - Those quarter berths are the best berths on any yacht afloat so don't dream of turning them into leaky cockpit lockers, if you need somewhere for fenders, rope etc, do something across the back (I had a Merc 7.5 in the middle but it still worked OK).

2 berths to port and a quarter to stbd is the best 3. The forrard berth is triangular, in the loo, and doesn't have any headroom. The other saloon berth is in the way of the kettle for the morning cuppa.

No Contest!

Geoff Harwood P21/30 Cygnus (2 berths so long as no-one brings more than a toothbrush)

Ian A_Court
2008-01-25T12:22:37Z
quote:
Originally posted by Tony Nield

I agree with Geoff on this. I've had S22 'Dee Rover' for 20 years and although I have modified lots of things the (same) overall layout was fine as it was. I think on balance I would still go for a 'portapotti' up forward rather than a sea toilet-- no holes thro'hull--easy to take ashore for cleaning--no pollution of anchorages. However,I did once have a nasty case of "lavatory overboard" when I accidentally let go of it whilst emptying it over the transom and sailing singlehanded at the same time. It floated long enough for me to recover it, fortunately. Good practice!

quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Harwood

No Contest!

Ian A_Court
2008-01-25T12:32:53Z
Thank you gentlemen for your thoughts, much appreciated, and I will certainly check its buoyancy if I go down the "Portapotti" route.

Ian A'Court