Brian Banham
2008-06-17T18:06:11Z
David,

I will shortly be mooring my boat at West Mersea and believe I may suffer from similar swinging problems. Could you please therefore send me photos via email.

Regards

Brian Banham 235/59
Brian Banham 235/59
David Pocock
2008-08-06T14:38:47Z
Just returned from a week sailing up some of the sea lochs between Skye and the Scottish Mainland where I used my new 6kg Delta anchor extensively. Except for once off Glenelg over a pebble bottom some 13m deep, the anchor bit first time each time it was deployed and held the boat securely in different locations with winds gusting 30kts. Even over the pebble bottom it bit second time and held overnight without moving.

I could not get over how economical the 6hp Tohatsu 4-stroke was in comparison with my previous 5hp 2-stroke. I still wish it was quieter though.

With strong fluky (180’ shifts were not unusual!) winds coming off the steep mountains, we found the best way to sail quickly and comfortably was under just the jib. After a heavy unintentional gybe, with the wind usually behind us we carried this plan all the way down both Loch Duich and Loch Hourn (4th Narrows) and the boat remained very steady in rolling seas at a steady 5-6 kts.

David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
2008-08-06T17:30:05Z
I know what you mean about 180 degree wind shifts up here David!

I agree about the jib, we got 'caught' in Loch Drum na Buidhe last week and waited for the Easterly wind to subside before dashing home before it - we exceeded 6 knots on jib alone on a medium reach but the boat felt well under control. I remember what you said about a mainsheet traveller last year and I think I'll fit one this winter.

Meanwhile it is West Highland Week here and 150 boats descended on Tobermory today for two nights - chaos but (noisy!) fun!

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
ChrisC
2008-08-06T20:57:45Z
David/Stephen

I was also impressed how well our 235 performs with jib alone albeit in lightish winds compared to those you describe in Scotland.

David I was interested that you had recommended a mainsheet traveller - did you fit it yourself, if so it would be interesting to know how difficult it was and what make you chose.

Incidentally, did you ever send me the pics of your mooring bridle, only I didn't get them. I think the method for sending an e-mail via the forum links might not work or perhaps only for me as even sending myself a mail fails. Our mooring dragged recently as a result (I think) of our boat slewing about, so anything that minimises the movement will be a distinct advantage. Streaming a bucket aft works a bit but buckets don't last very long before they fail or are damaged.

Thanks

Chris Cobb

235/48 "Tarakihi"
David Pocock
2008-08-07T09:54:03Z
Hello Chris (and Stephen)

I did send the pictures via the forum, but if you let me have your email address I will send them to you directly. You might be interested to know that anchoring with the chain/warp through one fairlead and a chainhook through the other also seems to reduce swinging which makes for an easier night even if only because of fewer alerts from the anchor drag alarm! I also tie the tiller amidships which helps.

The traveller was an option on purchase but all the mouldings are there to retrofit one (2 flat depressions on the seats in the middle of the cockpit). Having been shown by an expert how to use one to best effect on a 235 I cannot recommend it highly enough, and Arawa certainly could not have carried enough sail to make the passages (65 miles in one day is her record) that she has without one.

Last week we were beating from Kyle to Eilean Donnan with 2 reefs and half a jib into a steady Easterly 20-24 kts gusting wildly but in a fairly calm sea. The engine was down as we might have needed it instantly because there were several narrows to transit, and we were towing a dinghy. Arawa was making 5-5.5 kts on both log and GPS. Without the traveller to dump power in the gusts we would have been motoring and nowhere nearly as quickly.

David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
Brian Banham
2008-08-09T18:50:43Z
Hello David

I am not sure whether you received my request for pictures of your bridal but like Chris I have not received anything? Hope you can send pictures when convenient.

Regards

Brian Banham 235/59
Brian Banham 235/59
David Pocock
2008-08-12T09:27:28Z
Hello Brian

Sent via the forum and again to your personal email from the handbook.

David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
Brian Banham
2008-08-14T18:12:49Z
David,

Many thanks for pic's via email.

Regards

Brian Banham 235/59
Brian Banham 235/59
James Hamilton
2008-08-30T12:39:18Z
Interesting what you said about the bow roller, It has allways seemed a little sharp edged to me, and I have started putting the mooring rope through the bowsprit ring. Seems to work OK, does anyone see any reason why not? I also allways store the bowsprit below when not on the boat as the pistons tend to seize up if they are left out.

http://freespace.virgin....james.hamilton/forum.jpg