Ray
  • Ray
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2008-01-27T13:39:06Z
I bought a seal 22 last year and have since had a operation that means I am unable to lift the outboard enging on to the bracket on the stern of the boat.

Knowing that the mk3 seal had the outboard engine fitted inside the rear locker I wondering If I could do this on my one there fore leaving the engine in place.

I have a couple of question if any one could help.

1 / has anyboady out there already made this change ?.

2 / how much strenthing needed to be done ?.

3 / Did it change the sailing / motoring ability of the boat ?.

4 / If you made this change would you be willing to let me ring you.

Regards

Ray

Geoff Harwood
2008-01-27T17:26:21Z
John Baker used to supply a moulding to convert the earlier Seals to the well system used in the Mk III. This is the how-to-do-it sheet that he sent out with it.

UserPostedImage

The original Baker moulds are now in the care of Blaxton Boats www.blaxtonboats.co.uk  so it might be worth contacting them so see if the well mould was included.

Geoff

Ray
  • Ray
2008-01-29T00:06:03Z
Geoff I will contact Blaxton Boats and see if they still have the moulds did you fit one of these ? If so I would lie to talk to you ?

Thanks for the information Ray

Geoff Harwood
2008-01-29T13:55:49Z
No I didn't fit one of them, I had a Sinbad which came with the well option already installed.

In the Sinbad the well moulding extended all the way to the hull sides which would be a very good idea since I remember that quite a lot of water sloshed up and would have gone over the moulding in the drawing. I also made a pair of "slurp-plates" which fitted round the bottom and helped to prevent water sloshing up round the outboard leg. I have a pattern for them since they kept falling out and needing to be replaced at rather frequent intervals.

Ray
  • Ray
2008-01-29T20:16:31Z
Yes please and thanks for your information. I have not used a forum before and have been surprised at the speed you can back. I am waiting for an answer re the moulding still but will contact then again today.

Regards

Ray

peter lowry
2008-01-31T18:28:59Z
Hi Ray

My Dad fitted a cockpit outboard well into a mark 2 with great success

he and the boat are in Ireland and is willing to talk to you about it

He is the Irish area officer

Stephen Lowry tel (use all numbers) 00 353 41 9827315

best time is between 7pm and 930 pm

best of luck

Peter Lowry

Rear Commodore/solent officer

philip linsell
2008-02-01T09:14:35Z
Hi

I used to own a 22, Tulena, it had a well fitted by a previous owner, not using the Baker moulding.

Tulena winters at Thornham Marina near Emsworth, I could arrange a view if you want.

The work was carried out in plywood, glassed in. Sailing wise it does slow you down a bit, but should not be a problem unless you are racing. I had an arrangement that allowed the engine to be out of the well, but below the tiller and a plug in the hole.

I'm in the PSSA book, other craft, Rascal.

Philip Linsell

Ray
  • Ray
2008-02-01T10:42:40Z
Peter (Stephen) / Philip,

I will be in contact via telephone and would love to see "Tulena" as its just round the coast. Weekend would be best. As far as slowing her down it sounds minor issue.

Thanks for the help and advise.

regards

Ray (sealia)

Phil
2008-04-14T11:41:48Z
Ray

I have a 22, at some point in its life it has had a well fitted. Mine does have oxygen starvation problems, when the engine is in neutral e.g. in the lockpit. It is very difficult to restart. I end up fanning the engine with a washboard. Other sailers do look, and i am sure think i am crackers.I have found no real solution to this.

Phil (grimsby)

Phil

Seal 22 "Sealark" Sail No 54

Geoff Harwood
2008-04-14T14:42:59Z
Fumes in the well was a problem with my Sinbad too. It didn't seem to upset the power too much since it was worst at idle when there isn't any flow past the prop to take the exhaust away from the prop, but it did fill the cockpit with white smoke (Merc 75 (7.5hp) 2-stroke) I cured that by cobbling up an attachment to connect the above-water exhaust port to a pipe which I led through the transom.
gregfaux
2008-04-15T22:08:16Z
We found the same thing on Moonspinner last year (our first season with her) - that is the motor choking itself on exhaust gas/stale air in the motor well. I have laminated up a GRP manifold to collect the exhaust from the two small bypass outlets at the top of the leg' on our Tohatsu 5hp (2 stroke) and intend initialy to pipe the gas away over the side. If this is sucessful i'll install a small through hull fitting in the transom to tidy it up. I used polyester resin for the manifold moulding because although the exhaust doesnt feel very hot, polyester has a higher temperature tollerance than epoxy, and aside of the awful smell as it cures, its a little nicer to work with and sets quicker than epoxy. I made the moulding by waxing the motor leg, taping over the holes, masking the required area off and laminating it straight ontothe motor leg. It worked fine and the moulding popped off easily with no paint loss at all.....

Greg...

Greg...

Seal 22 - Moonspinner

Phil
2008-04-18T23:38:31Z
Thanks for those suggestions. I did wonder about fitting two sheets of rubber belting under the well. this to fit arround the the engine when in place. as my outboard exhaust totally under the water. I hope this will then deter the gases coming up in the well.

Phil

Phil

Ray
  • Ray
2008-04-23T17:50:49Z
To all of you who have replied to my topic. first of all a thanks. It also appears to be helping not just me. I also need to apologise to Peter, Stephen and Philip as I did say I would ring them.

My Boat has now gone back in the water, meaning I will not be able to do the work till she comes out at the end of the year.

My initial interest in doing this was due to an operation I had last November, and I might not be able to lift my Tohatsu 9.8hp (I now its large / huge) on to the outboard bracket.

As I am still recovering but getting stronger I will probably have another think at the end of this year. In the mean time Im hoping to meet some of you on one of the local rallys

Thanks for your replies

Ray

p.s. I also have Mariner 5hp (nether engine is left on the boat)