Graeme
2008-03-10T08:36:21Z
I've finally got round to doing the odd-jobs on Gentoo prior to relaunching. I'm in the process of replacing the keel rope and lubricating the blocks etc. The hole that the keel rope is threaded through is a very tight fit. Any tips on how to rethread the new rope?

Thanks

Graeme
Paul Bowman
2008-03-10T10:19:43Z
Graeme

I'haven't changed mine yet, so I can't help with your query. However, the last owner had changed it and told me that it needed to be about 2 metres longer than what is stated in the manual. Otherwise, it's a bit too short for comfort. I don't know if others found this.

I'll be interested to know it goes for you.

Paul

Paul

235/17 Kinkajou
Paul

Hunter Pilot 27, GiGi
(ex 235 owner)
2008-03-10T10:59:58Z
hi graeme

i have changed the keel rope 3 times , each year that i had the 235.
i used the same length of rope as specified with no problem
the first time i drew a detailed plan of the pulley and rope arrangement of the existing setup just to be sure.
on subsequent occasions being more confident i left the original rope in place and as i untied and unravelled the old one so the new one followed its path in stages.
hope this makes sense.
bit puzzled by difficulty in threading new rope through hole. don't think i had a problem but double the size of rope and use 'fairy liquid' as a lubricant maybe.
good luck

regards
charles

charles clements

Spartacus 285
charles clements

Spartacus 285
2008-03-10T11:02:46Z

i meant double check size of rope of course NOT double size of rope

charles clements

Spartacus 285
charles clements

Spartacus 285
James Hamilton
2008-03-13T12:54:14Z
Graeme

Changed mine for the first time last year. I did it on the trailer so I could take off the two cover plates, and everything was pretty close and handy. I can imagine it would be difficult if the keel was down, or maybe Parker's have changed the design since #29!?

Regards
Jim Hamilton
Sandy Lady

http://freespace.virgin....james.hamilton/forum.jpg 
Graeme
2008-03-14T09:10:06Z
All sorted now.

The issue was the hole in the top plate, which the keel rope is fed through with a stopper knot. A wee biit of tight whipping and a rat-tail file allowed the new rope to pass through. I had to change the blocks as they were solid, I could hardly turn them by hand. Suspect some of the grit used to grit blast the keel got into them.

Graeme