ChrisC
  • ChrisC
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2008-04-01T21:53:28Z
Does anyone know when the extended rudder stock was introduced that (supposedly) allows the boat to be sailed with the outboard motor raised? I would like to know because on Tarakihi, it appears that the engine has to be raised complete with mounting board from the aluminium sliders and reinserted between the rubber buffers and the sliders before the motor is low enough for the tiller to clear the motor. This is somewhat of a hassle and the motor is not very rigidly fixed afterwards. The motor is a Tohatsu 6 short shaft.

Thanks

Chris Cobb

235/48 Tarakihi
PaulBurton
2008-04-02T17:49:28Z
Mine was No.42 and I did not have the the higher stock. I did not have the rubber buffers either so I would guess you have the higher rudder stock.!!!!!

Paul Burton.

Parker 21 Papillon.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
David Pocock
2008-04-02T20:35:52Z
Mine is No 52 and I can simply lift the engine (Tohatsu 6hp) and slide the fairing plug in and drop the engine back on to the plug - without needing to lift the board out of its slot. The tiller just clears the lifted engine.

David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
2008-04-02T22:46:50Z
Chris - just to confuse you further...mine is number 51 with the extended rudder top BUT I CAN'T move the tiller when the engine is up - it JUST catches my Tohatsu 6HP! I think David's (above) is possibly the 2 stroke which just fits whereas the 4 stroke doesn't.....either way, mine doesn't clear the rudder!

The rubber buffers barely hold it and it is very sloppy between them, so I've removed them this year as the engine and board sit better just butting against the forward end of the engine aperture itself - I can't see a problem with this and I've filled the holes left by the rubber bungs. I think the extra angle may help the tiller clear too, but will confirm this when engine back in!

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
David Pocock
2008-04-03T07:59:32Z
I had a Tohatsu 5hp 2-stroke but replaced it with a Tohatsu 6hp 4-stroke. Both could/can be raised with the plug in and the tiller used freely. Both engines have no integral fuel tank. Sorry, cannot explain why mine works and yours do not.

David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
ChrisC
  • ChrisC
2008-04-08T22:21:41Z
Thanks to those who replied to my question - it does seem strange that there is no consistency in whether or not the tiller clears the raised engine. In our case, Tarakihi's 6HP Tohatsu is a 2007 model (the original engine was stolen) and has no integral tank. Someone suggested that the newer engines may be slightly taller!?

Anyway, one option is to devise some extending plates for the rudder stock in order to raise the tiller further and (possibly) make the tiller hinge up so that lifting the engine out of its slots could be done with the tiller in the central position. This might allow the motor to be raised and lowered easily(?) whilst on the move. Has anyone else thought of or tried anything like this?

Additionally, as lifting the engine is quite strenuous, has anyone devised a method for raising it mechanically in situ - with the aid of blocks tackle perhaps?

Thanks

Chris Cobb

235/48 Tarakihi
David Pocock
2008-04-10T09:43:01Z
Chris

I am a little puzzled. My tiller does hinge up to allow exactly what you suggest. Also, I have never found it necessary to do more than lift the engine a foot or so in its sliding slot before I could slip the fairing plug underneath the propeller and let it drop back down but in the raised position. Then, the engine is well supported but out of the water and the tiller can be lowered again and JUST clears the top of the 6hp. It had a little more clearance over the 5hp 2-stroke. I bought the 6hp new in September 2007.

I do have the rubber buffers fitted but I have never found a need/use for them.

David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
ChrisC
  • ChrisC
2008-04-10T14:12:49Z
David,

Thanks - I will have to inspect the tiller again and see if we are missing something.......!

Chris

Chris Cobb

235/48 Tarakihi
2008-04-11T07:57:53Z
David / Chris:

The mystery deepens - my boat (51) immediately prior to David's does NOT have a 'tilting' tiller. Wish it had, it would be an improvement but maybe it was introduced from boat 52 onwards?

I wonder if the tiller fouling the engine is just a manufacturing intolerance - not in the engine but on the boat. If, for instance, the plywood mounting board was just 10mm taller or shorter it would make the difference between "just touching" and "just missing" the engine.

It sounds as if David has the ideal set up - tilting tiller that also doesn't foul the engine cover!

As regards lifting the engine and putting the support plate underneath I have drilled a single hole in the ply so that I can slide the engine up and temporarily support it by pushing a pin through the hole in the left hand sliding rail. This leaves both hands free to put the 'undertray' in place. When I get chance and finish my engine mods I'll post a photo.

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
PaulBurton
2008-04-11T08:19:28Z
My old 235's tiller lifted... Didn't realise that they all didn't.

UserPostedImage

This is me trying to steer under a bridge on the Norfolk Broads last year.

Paul Burton.

Parker 21 Papillon.

Paul Burton.

Wayfarer no.9362
2008-04-11T12:18:45Z
Please can I volunteer for the "Mr Stupid Boy" prize, Mr Mainwaring?

Having looked at Paul's picture I've been to check mine -and it DOES tilt up! The bolt on which it pivots is so tight I had never realised it lifted - I can barely move it but will now loosen it off. Amazing, but sadly true!

Still catches the engine BUT presumably now I can insert a tiny lifter to stop the tiller dropping down the last few mm and hey presto all my problems solved! (nearly).

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
ChrisC
  • ChrisC
2008-04-17T21:47:01Z
I have also checked Tarakihi's tiller and it also lifts (with some difficulty)! A small wedge added at the back of the tiller would adjust the clearance to clear the engine for sailing and would take care of any discrepencies between differnt engine and mounting configurations - problem solved. However, does raising the engine alter the stability of the boat - perhaps not with the keel fully down but on a drying mooring with only a foot down?

Chris Cobb

235/48 Tarakihi
David Pocock
2008-04-18T10:27:57Z
Hello Chris

My boat sits quite happily on an exposed swinging mooring with the engine raised. I have dried out in a harbour on several occasions, again with the engine raised, and also the keel of course, and the boat was fine.

David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
ChrisC
  • ChrisC
2008-04-18T17:06:19Z
Dave,

Thanks for the info. I have only just returned from the river and it is blowing half a gale - wind across tide. Tarakihi is slewing and swinging about despite the bucket trailed from the stern but there is no sign of any more drastic instability. Fortunately, on the Deben waves are not large so this probably helps.

Regards

Chris Cobb

235/48 Tarakihi