David Parsons
2008-07-05T07:42:01Z
I have developed a judder when lowering/ raising my keel. When lowering this happens for about the first third of travel and when raising the final six inches. Bill suggested that it may be the lower hull roller but the keel seems to move freely with no discernible rubbing/grinding. I am wondering whether it is to do with the hydraulics and would be interested to know if anyone has experienced anything similar?

335/40

David Parsons
David Parsons
Stuart Tucker
2008-07-08T19:21:52Z
Hi David,

You are the first person to write something in the 325/335 section for a year, congratulations, you deserve a prize!

With respect to the keel judder you are experiencing, I cant say that I have experienced this. But the keel area on 37 is so full of grease that the wheels hardly appear to move at all! The only thing I can assume is that you might have an air lock or may be low on fluid. You need to check the reservoir level with the keel down. Does it judder when the keel is coming up?

Sorry I can't be too much help on this, but I do hope you get it sorted.

Stuart
Don Harvey
2008-07-09T11:38:27Z
David

I had the same problem but only for the last couple of feet when lowering. I assumed it was simply a lack of grease so obtained a very long brush to get grease down as far as possible. This seemed to do the trick.

Regards
Don Harvey
Regards
Don Harvey
David Parsons
2008-07-21T08:40:40Z
Thanks for the responses and I believe the problem may be with the hydraulics. Unfortunately I seem to have mislaid the manufacturer's instructions for the Smiths Industries Hydraulic Unit. I have contacted Bill's new supplier who say they no longer supply any instructions. Does anyone have a copy of these that they could possibly scan/copy for me please?

David Parsons
David Parsons
Stuart Tucker
2008-07-29T12:11:58Z
Hi David,

Sorry for the delay in this reply, had not been watching out for you!

I will have a look in the pack of docs I have, but I think it's only the original notes that Bill supplies, nothing manufacturer specific. (But, will check anyway!).

But, I rather think that the issue is more likely to be in the hydralic tube & arm in the keel box rather than the pump unit in your locker. Millions of these pumps have been made and most trucks with a tail lift seem to have them on too, which is very reassuring! If they are truck driver proof, they have to be ok for us!!!

So if it's not the pump, then it might be the tube itself? Have you checked the end cap at the bottom of the tube recently? This might made, as mine was, of cast iron? Which is softer than steel and can corrode. In 2006, we noticed a small amount of corrosion just inside the inner lip & where stainless tube passes close by. To be safe, I decided to have a stainless steel copy machined up in Portsmouth with some brass sleive inserts to protect the steel arm. Had had no issues before or since, & touch wood .... works great!!!!

My boat 37 is 1998 build, so No 40 is maybe, year 2000 build??? ie 8 to 10 years old. So roughly the same age as mine was in 2006, when we noticed some corrosion? It's just a theory, but I think when you said "for about the first third of travel and when raising the final six inches", I thought about the end cap? You may have a small amount of corrosion rub in there?

This is not a major issue and I very much doubt you are even loosing any hydaulic oil, and if the seel arm is ok (which I'm sure it will be, as it's made of very hard steel & should be quite robust)? The fix is realitively cheap & simple. Either order a new one (via Bill) to replace it or have a new one machined. Unfortunately this is a bit of a winter job, rather than a new one, as you have to disconnect the tube from the keel and pump remove the whole thing.

I'm not sure where you are based, but the first thing you need to do is check, then if it is this & you need technical assistance I will be happy to pass on to you my contacts here in Portsmouth or you can talk to Bill.

As said it's just a thought and might be worth a look during the next winter lay up and as said, it's not major, just a maintenance issue, otherwise I would not be discussing here! Our boats are wonderful and we want to keep them valuable!

Regards,

Stuart
Stuart Tucker
2008-09-08T17:00:23Z
HI David, was this a help? Did you resolve the issue? Stuart
David Parsons
2008-09-09T08:50:25Z
Hi Stuart

Many thanks for your response. I keep my boat in Southern France so it only comes out for a short period each year. I will therefore probably have to consider a new ram as I do not have the time to remove the old parts and get some made unless I lift the boat out twice. I must say that your theory sounds the most likely.

Thanks for your help and will keep you posted

David

David Parsons
David Parsons
Stuart Tucker
2008-09-09T18:28:49Z
Hi David,

Hah! I was wondering where you were? If you ever need crew .....! If if is this, hopefully not, Bill will be able to assist as he put my engineer on to the manufacturer too. Funny, though my elecronic Datatec gadge is playing up now... with all this rain we have had, I'm wondering if some water has got in ... it's sort of revived with WD40 sprayed in!

Let me know if I can be of anymore assistance?

Stuart
Howard Payne
2009-11-11T10:14:29Z
I'm having similar problems ie graunching noises and Datatek device playing up. I shall give the mechanics a severe looking at over the winter but does anyone have contact details for Datatek? Googling has failed me.

335/51

Howard Payne
Mike Lockwood
2009-11-21T18:45:51Z
Hi.

I had the graunching problem and it was cured by greasing from below during the winter liftout.

My Datatek failed and was replaced by the electrician at the Agamemnon Boatyard at Bucklers Hard Tel: 01590 616214. He had to order it from France.

Mike Lockwood
Lucky Devil
Parker 325/32
Mike Lockwood
Lucky Devil
Parker 325/35
Howard Payne
2009-12-17T16:32:50Z
Mike

Thanks I'll try the greasing and see what our local electricians in East Anglia make of the DAtatek problem.

Things may become apparent when I take the lid off

roger roach
2010-01-11T13:52:58Z
We had the same problem with Rakaia's keel topped up the hydo fluid and all was well

Roger
Roger
Stuart Tucker
2010-06-29T14:30:27Z
DATATEX

Datatex Ltd
La Moulin de la Chauvaliere
86 190 Lattile
Vienne
France

I'm now having problems with mine (pulley / server end above keel). Got this address from Bill Parker. Has anyone got an email address, name of the chap and his phone number?

Thanks Stuart
Bob
  • Bob
  • Advanced Member
2010-06-29T16:24:38Z
The last known correct details are:

Datatek Ltd
Le Moulin de La Chauvaliere
86190 Lattille
Vienne
France

Tel: 00 33 5 49 57 03 11
email: Datatek@Talk21.com

KEEL POSITION PULLEY TRANSDUCER ONLY (No Wheel)
Part Number: KEELXDCR for Parker 325/335
Stuart Tucker
2010-06-30T14:26:58Z
Stuart Tucker
2010-07-07T18:11:42Z
All,

Been in touch with Datatek. His name is Keith Howlett.

Keith can be contacted on:- Le Moulin de la Chauvaliere, 86190 Latillé, France. Telephone (Home):- 0033 5 49 57 03 11 or (Mobile) 0033 676 19 84 32. (He says his mobile has poor signal whilst at home but SMS text does get through.)
E-mail:- la_chauvaliere@yahoo.co.uk or datatek@wanadoo.fr

Although Keith is retired, he has checked his Parkers stock box as follows:

TRANSDUCER UNIT: he has parts in stock to make one keel position transducer, but can make more or less unlimited quantities of these, if required.

INDICATOR UNIT: he has parts to make 3 new units with the Parker logo and 3 units without the logo, ie total 6 units. In addition, he has enough parts up to repair 18 indicator units. But, repair costs do depend on what needs to be done, but would not exceed half the cost of a new unit.

SWITCH PANELS: He can also supply spares and repair the switch panels if required.

The price of the Keel Position Indicator Unit is £81.74 + Postage.
The price of the Keel Position Transducer is £28.70 + Postage.

He cannot accept payment by VISA, but will accept a Sterling or Euro cheque with order.

Stuart
Howard Payne
2011-01-25T11:19:20Z
Stuart

I too have been in touch with Keith. He's very obliging and (I hope) sorted my sender unit.

To replace it all I need to find is the terminal block to connect the wire.

If you've done this, can you remember where it's located to avoid me going on a hunt.

Howard Payne
Stuart Tucker
2011-01-27T11:11:27Z
Hi Howard,

On Pegasus, in the forward cabin opposite the clothes hanging up locker and below the mast there should be a screwed in cloth covered panel (approx 5ft / 1ft). Remove that and you should see two holes (9in / 6ins) in the wood (one top / one bottom). Behind the wood, and the top hole, is a cavity which houses the main support step for the mast and all the electrical cables / hydraulic hoses etc for the keel and mast lights and nav electronics. its a bit of a rats nest, but you can pull the cables out. If you take the top cover off the keel housing, you should be able to trace back the grey cable from outside through a gunk seal into the cavity below the mast and into the rats nest. There, fingers crossed 🙂, you will find the plastic terminal block. Let me know how you get on and hoping my explanation is OK?

Stuart
Mike Lockwood
2011-03-03T17:06:46Z
My Datatek has broken AGAIN and I refuse to spend any more money on it. I've rigged a mechanical indicator from the port flag halyard to the top of the keel, bungee above and cord below, with red markers at the keel half and full down position, viewed from the cockpit relative to red insulating tape on the mast. I'll write it up for the newsletter in due course.

Mike Lockwood
Lucky Devil
Parker 325/32
Mike Lockwood
Lucky Devil
Parker 325/35
Jan
  • Jan
  • Advanced Member
2011-03-17T08:37:29Z
Datatek installation ?
Blue Moon has destroyed her Datek transducer by winding past the stops. I have a new one ready to fit . Does anyone know how the tension on the cord which runs over the transducer pulley is maintained ? It seems dissappear through a hole in th back of the keel box , is it a bungee or weight ?

Jan
325/32