Jim Crick
2008-12-10T00:29:39Z
Does anybody else have trouble with water entering the cockpit locker? The gutter arrangement in the cockpit seat moulding has no depth at all at the angle between cockpit seat, and seat back, so water is not thrown out into the cockpit.

When sailing, the water travels behind the outboard well into the "cave locker" on stbd side and, I believe, contributes to dampness in the accomodation.

There is a bilge pump drawing from the fwd corner of the cockpit locker, so I assume it is a longstanding problem.

I plan to block off the gap behind the outboard well until I can think of a better solution (such as major reconstruction of the locker lid area), but I wonder if anyone has a better solution to offer.
Geoff Harwood
2008-12-11T16:21:41Z
The gutter along the back of the cockpit locker on Cygnus (21/30) is about an inch and a half deep so there is no problem of water getting into the locker. I also have a pump mounted at the back of the port seat with a pipe leading down into the locker. About 2 metres of pipe are coiled up in the back of the locker so I'm not sure what the intention is. I've never used it.

Geoff
Jim Crick
2008-12-12T11:26:43Z
Thanks. There are clearly design differences between our boats. I will try to view others when I am out and about, to get inspiration. I have already seen examples of the fuel tank locker that I proposed to build.
Jim
Chris B
2008-12-23T13:33:33Z
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Crick

Thanks. There are clearly design differences between our boats. I will try to view others when I am out and about, to get inspiration. I have already seen examples of the fuel tank locker that I proposed to build.
Jim

Hi Jim
I have the same proplem. Have you collected any photos of different design configerations, or come up with any solutions? My solution has been to glass in, inner sides to the lid, reducing the inner area around the drain channels. Dont know if it works untill back on the water but should help
Chris
Jim Crick
2008-12-28T10:54:41Z
Chris

I don't have any other examples to compare, and would be very interested in photos or a sketch of your modification. I have some more sealing strip on order from Parkers, along with some keel raising bits, but I favour a more structural solution.

Jim