ChrisC
  • ChrisC
  • Advanced Member Topic Starter
2009-01-22T16:22:13Z
Previous posts have mention the effectiveness of a mainsheet traveller instead of the single point cockpit attachment. Has anyone retro-fitted a traveller to the moulded locations in the cockpit and what kit did you use?

Although, a traveller might make sailing more efficient etc, how does it affect the use of the cockpit, as it seems to me that, the intrusion of both the outboard and a traveller would make the cockpit quite cramped and even more full of potential hazards for barking shins & ankles and snagging lines! Has anyone contrived a removable traveller to make the cockpit more user friendly on the mooring?

Many thanks

Chris Cobb

235/48 "Tarakihi"
David Pocock
2009-01-22T20:40:44Z
Hello Chris

I had the traveller installed by Bill but I am sure it is a simple job to fit one yourself (I did on my last boat). It is a Barton version (which comes as a complete kit although you might have to cut the track to length) fitted with butterfly nuts so it can quickly be removed – although I have never have except for winter layup.

It does clutter the cockpit but not to an unreasonable extent and what a difference it makes when beating in strong winds. I have had an expert sailing my boat by playing the traveller with full main in 20-24 kts and she really flies! In theory it is also useful in light winds but it does not (at least in my hands) make such an impact as in high winds.

David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
ChrisC
  • ChrisC
2009-01-29T14:54:13Z
David,

Thanks for your reply to my post and your info. Being able to be more controlled in higher winds would be an advantage! Don't suppose you have a photo of the traveller installation so that I could see how it looks, please

Thanks

Chris Cobb

235/48 "Tarakihi"
David Pocock
2009-01-29T20:28:23Z
Sorry Chris but the boat is stripped and put to bed just now. However, it could not be simpler. The traveller track fits across the cockpit and is bolted (you will need to drill 4 holes and cut the track to size) where the indentations are in the seats.

David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
2009-02-03T10:47:32Z
Hi Chris and David,

I too am considering a mainsheet traveller, largely as having seen David depart Tobermory once in a force 6 and heard his positive comments it seems sensible! At the same time I am aware of the intrusion into the cockpit, particularly as my wife now has limited mobility and it would be something else to clamber over.

I seem to remember David saying the ropes jam under the ends of the Barton system - did I imagine this, if not I wonder if another make like Harken is worth looking at?

Presumably you need to put a load spreader board or similar beneath the deck where the fixing bolts come through, because the strains must be enormous.

Finally, David, ARAWA looked good the other day - I was in Fortrose and popped down to the harbour to see her! Unfortunately I didn't have your contact details (lucky you!) but it was good to see where you sail!

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"

Stephen Godber
235/51 "Exodus"
David Pocock
2009-02-03T21:00:24Z
Hello Stephen

Really sorry to have missed you, and I hope you will try again next time you are over. My house overlooks the harbour, and as I am the Harbourmaster my contact details are on the clubhouse door. Let me know when you are coming.

Stephen/Chris

On the traveller. My comments are coloured by how I was taught to use it, and I have no idea if this is the “book” method. However, I was shown by a determined expert (currently racing for GBR in Australia) and it certainly suits the 235 enabling great (and exciting!!) progress to be made in strong winds.

The main is set and locked off. Then the boat is sailed by the helm just by playing the traveller car, with in very strong winds, the crew letting out the mainsheet as well in higher gusts as necessary.

There are advantages also in light winds but then I think any traveller version would be fine.

The Barton traveller works OK but a problem is that only a light line fits through the blocks and that is what you are constantly holding/hauling to play the car back and forth as the wind varies. Ideally, I would like one that could accept a heavier line. Better bearings would make hauling the traveller in after gusts easier.

The issue of loose lines would probably apply to any model. Obviously only the port or starboard line controlling the traveller location on the track is being used at one time and that leaves the other locked off on the other side. But given it will be needed immediately if you tack, I have not found a way to tuck it out of the way and so it lies loose and can get in the way. Not a major problem though.

On reinforcing the seat to take the traveller, I assume my hull is standard and it is already strengthened where the traveller fits in the moulded recesses. Bill installed mine and it has 2 bolts each side (in the small recesses). It takes about 5 minutes to remove it and revert to the standard mainsheet block so it is possible to have the best of both worlds.

Hope this is helpful. As you can probably tell, I am a convert and it certainly helps to exploit the 235’s potential.

David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
ChrisC
  • ChrisC
2009-02-05T18:09:19Z
Dave,

Thanks for your comments - you seem sold on your traveller. I think the jury will be out for a bit whilst we weigh up the pros and cons!

Chris Cobb
235/48 "Tarakihi"