David Pocock
2009-02-25T17:26:19Z
Just fitted a larger battery to Arawa. Understandably, on longer trips my 70ah was struggling a bit with radio, autohelm and plotter - not to mention a small coolbox. Anyway, a Varta 90ah deep cycle battery fits easily and I could perhaps have got away with the 110ah version but it would have been very tight.

David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
David Pocock
Parker 235/52 Arawa
ChrisC
2009-03-18T16:24:28Z
David,

Our 235 has got two of the small batteries paralleled together to give more capacity. I think this was done in the original build as there are door stop type buffers separating them. They are rather tight nevertheless with wires in the loom and additional ones squeezed under the cabin-ward port aft locker rim. I am not convinced that this arrangement is all that good as there is the potential for the wires to be damaged and certainly, if one is disconnecting the batteries there is a considerable risk that the disconnected wires from one battery can touch and short the other battery. We have been VERY careful doing any work here!

Regards

Chris Cobb

235/48 "Tarakihi"
Ken Surplice
2009-04-05T22:15:31Z
Hi Folks,

This reminds me life in our Parker 21. We had a 35Ah battery and never had any problems with it in our "turn that off!" regime. I also fitted a Link 10 fancy battery state monitor so I could get a good view of what was going on. What's funny is that we moved to a Parker 275 with 2*110Ah batteries but still kept our thrifty attitude to power consumption. Until, that is, we fitted a shore power circuit. I can highly recommend these. We usually only connect when it's free, or it is cold, but it's great to have everything switched on without any battery concerns.

Ken

Ken Surplice
Vice Commodore
Ken
Graham Ebb
2009-04-06T12:03:58Z
Hi, we have two 80 amp batteries wired together to give us a good capacity and have a shore power system to top them up. I have not had any difficulty with having the two batteries together. You should always be cautious around batteries be it one or two. We have quick release clamps on the battery terminals and make sure we disconnect the cables in a safe sequence, ie. both live terminals then both neutral terminals. This avoids having live and neutral cables loose from one battery, whilst still connected to the second battery.

Regards

Graham Ebb
ARRussell
2010-01-19T22:06:45Z
My 40Ah battery is in a sealed, made-to-measure box at the aft end of the port locker. How have larger batteries been fitted on later boats? I assume they are in the port locker and not in a box like mine because I think that's the only way they'd fit. Perhaps some timber supports have been bonded into the bottom of the locker to protect the hull and provide something for the battery to be strapped down to. They'd have to be thin supports, though, because there's not much height clearance for a battery - most makes of battery are too tall.

Is this how they are fitted?

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
ChrisC
2010-01-22T20:58:32Z
Anthony,

Further to my earlier post last year, our 2 batteries (Hela? no/low maintenance types 75Ah - although I haven't been able to find anyone who sells them) have proved adequate for our modest needs pottering on the Deben. The batteries are charged mainly by a hatch-mounted 25W solar panel. The engine is also supposed to have charging output but, when checked last, didn't appear to be charging - perhaps we have got a lighting coil (ac) but no rectifer? We also have a wind generator but have not needed to use it.
The batteries are not in a box but held into the cabin-side of the aft port locker by a retaining rope that is anchored at one end and with a simple jam cleat at the other. Vertical restraint is provided by the locker rim. The batteries are in-line with "rubber" doorstop type buffers holding them in position and separating one from another. The batteries appear to be relatively secure but not sure what would happen in a knockdown! As I said before, the main problem is working on the batteries and the added care one needs if the leads need to be removed. We don't use the locker for anything else because of the possibility that the exposed terminals could be bridged. So I suppose one could provide a built in box that would make things easier. However, on reflection, the height of the batteries may be too tall if they are positioned centrally. At the moment they are at a slight angle and, because they are slid under the locker rim, use the deepest part of the locker.
We considered moving the batteries to the starboard locker in order to help a list to port that we have on Tarakihi but decided that it was too "difficult" to run the wires across the boat.

Chris Cobb

235/48 "Tarakihi"
ARRussell
2010-01-23T09:09:10Z
Thanks for your reply, Chris. I was thinking of using a similar method, though using a webbing strap going top to bottom to provide vertical restraint too. Is there anything underneath the batteries to protect the hull?

As you say, the locker isn't deep enough to take batteries anywhere but at the inboard side. Even there, it is too shallow for most batteries - including all the 'best quality' wet models. I too have looked for other places for it but came to the same conclusion as you. It would be nice to have it on the starboard side to correct the list! I did consider the aft stowage bin, which would make for shorter cable runs for the engine charging coil and the autopilot. But it would put the weight right in the stern and it would be awkward to lift the battery in and out.

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
ChrisC
2010-01-25T15:15:18Z
Anthony,

As far as I can remember, the batteries just sit on the inside of the locker base - perhaps that is the hull!

Chris Cobb

235/48 "Tarakihi"
ChrisC
2010-01-25T15:27:35Z
Anthony,

Another thought - is the central locker beneath the double berth deep enough? Also not sure if there is a problem with the weight at this position - might even help to counteract the problem that if anyone goes forward the engine lifts out of the water! However, as the battery (is there room for 2?) is even more enclosed than in the original position, I think you would need to vent the space. If you get any gassing it could be explosive! Having said this, there is no vent in the cabin locker as it too is covered by a cushion. Perhaps someone else will comment on this..... are low maintenance batteries non-gassing....all the time!

Chris Cobb

235/48 "Tarakihi"
ARRussell
2010-01-25T21:10:42Z
The dry locker under the aft bunk is far too shallow for a battery.

Battery ventilation is an ideal that many boats do not afford. But it shouldn't be a big problem if the battery isn't being charged quickly - not likely underway but perhaps when connected to shore power...

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Bob
  • Bob
  • Advanced Member
2010-02-04T09:07:37Z
The Battery on the 235 was first situated in it own custom 40 Ah battery box on the portside berth, up until about boat no 17ish It then went over to the Starboard locker and was restrained by rope and cleat, but with more customers wanting the Nasa BM1 fitted and bigger Ah batteries and the need for extra cables to be routed under the floor module, the battery/batteries were moved back to the portside locker restrained again by rope & cleat and the Nasa BM1 fitted next to the electric distribution panel.
ARRussell
2010-02-05T20:05:44Z
Bob, thanks very much for the detailed information on this and the other topics. Did you perhaps work for Parker's?

It would be good to move the battery to starboard but I expect the space under the floor will have been filled, preventing routing of the cables.

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
James Hamilton
2010-02-08T12:22:27Z
Quote:

Originally posted by ChrisC

Anthony,

...The engine is also supposed to have charging output but, when checked last, didn't appear to be charging -

I had a similar problem but traced it to the small chrome plug/socket above the fuel tank. I have since replaced them with a 'dry plug' and socket and they now appear to work. Also have a solar panel to trickle charge when we are not sailing (straps onto the boom). This made quite a difference last summer.

Regards Jim Hamilton [Sandy Lady]

http://freespace.virgin....james.hamilton/forum.jpg 

ARRussell
2010-03-03T07:55:43Z
There is no charging circuit on Sea Wyche (I just take the battery home to charge it) but I am about to fit one. I need to decide where to put the connector and nowhere seems ideal. "The small chrome plug/socket above the fuel tank" sounds like it's a long way from the engine, but I've probably misunderstood. What is the usual position for the connector, please?

Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Anthony Russell
235/02 Sea Wyche
Gary
2011-03-19T14:39:15Z
Just ordered one of these: http://www.tayna.co.uk/95752-Va...e-Battery-E33-P3638.html  hope it is the same size David fitted to Arawa.
Gary/Ruth/& Skipper the Working Cocker Spaniel
Crew of Juicy Blue P235
Gary/Ruth/& Skipper the Working Cocker Spaniel
Crew of Juicy Blue P235