DGleeson
2006-05-16T12:13:00Z
I'm looking for information on fitting a main sheet traveller on An Rón (Irish for seal). I'd welcome any advice, etc....

Regards,

Donal

Donal Gleeson

paul lovejoy
2006-05-22T19:32:00Z
Fitted one near the aft edge of the bridge deck last winter. Piece of cake - used teak wedges to make up the void where the deck falles away at the sides, and a piece of 12mm marine ply inside to spread the load from the fixings. I recommend you use Lewmar kit though, as the mountings for the cam cleats are stainless (i.e. will withstand being trodden on) and bolt through the deck. Barton system uses end pieces of light alloy attached with tacky screws which are plainly not up to the job, despite being advertised as suitable for up to 28' LOA.

One season on very pleased with the set up - quite apart from the sail control aspect, the cockpit sole now seems much less cluttered.

Paul Lovejoy

DGleeson
2006-06-02T15:50:00Z
Thanks Paul,

I got the Lewmar traveller and will be fitting it this evening/tomorrow morning. I had not though about the slope of the bridgedeck as I have not tried a dry fitting yet.

Regards,

Donal

Donal Gleeson

DGleeson
2006-08-01T09:37:00Z
Hi Paul,

I fitted a Lewmar track size 1. I put slightly more bolts in than the recommended 10cm interval. I went to Cork Week in July, having to motor most of the 145 miles. On the first day with decent wind we were on the beat when there was a 'bang'. Looking around I saw that the track had lifted about 15mm from the deck in the middle part of the track. We continued sailing hoping for the best. On return to the dock I found that most of the nuts were gone! It must have been the vibration when motoring down to Cork. I got more nuts and one of the crew fitted them. He must have been swinging out of them as he sheared a number of the bolts. The next job is to get more bolts and lock nuts.

Apart from the lifting, the track worked very well. Talking to another boat who fitted a Harken track, the thing I found usefull on their track was the automatic release of the track during a tack. This would save time and a body from moving the track on a beat.

Regards,

Donal

Donal Gleeson