frank_marsden
2004-11-27T07:57:00Z
Despite having an inboard diesel, I like to have an outboard as a backup, even if only for when the prop gets fouled.

My boat has no cockpit well, but has a transom bracket. This suggests to me that I should get a light engine. I am only interested in a four stroke, as I have a Honda for tender/inflatable.

I would like to be able to get 4 to 5 knots.

Has anybody, please, any experience of something like a BF5/BF50 Honda on a Superseal?

Frank Marsden

Frank Marsden
Phil L
2004-12-14T21:41:00Z
A colleague had a Honda 5 installed on transom when he bought his Parker 275 new a few years ago. It had all controls led onboard and he assured me it was great for marina manouverability but wasn't really much help in sailing to a timetable and compensating for lack of wind on passage.

I might be a little concerned about emergency stopping ability with a small prop though.

I am also interested in a small auxilliary back-up - perhaps bracketed onto the rudder stock - to assist scraping over the mud with the rudder blade mostly up.

Perhaps a future project.

Good luck,

Phil
Phil Longhurst
frank_marsden
2004-12-15T22:12:00Z
Phil.

Have investigated using some calcs I found for hp absorbed by the prop. (RPM to power 2.7, not cube of spped which I expected)

AT 2000 engine rpm the Diesel driven 13 x 8 takes c. 2.5 hp, this gives me 4.4 knts

So, I have bought a BF 5 Honda, for use only when all else fails.

Wlii post any findondings at the end of 2005

Frank
Frank Marsden