Ken Surplice
2005-08-31T22:12:00Z
Hello Folks,

We don't use much power in our Vol-au-vent, and apart from normal engine running we've only charged the batteries during winter. That said, when visting the Channel Islands and France, where shore power is free or irresistably cheap, we dorun a cable into the boat and plug in our 12V fridge via transformer, plus some lights. Unfortunately the cables were rather spaghetti like and lead to constant arguing.

After carefull dithering for a few years, I finally fitted (er, had fitted) a combined shore power + charger. It's brilliant. If you have been contemplating such a move, I encourage you to go for it. Now, (when not in the overpriced UK) we plug in to the transom mounted socket and that's that. Inside, the kids can turn on lights without getting shouted at. Mum can plug in the kettle without having wires everywhere. Dad can read or play with his PC. And the batteries get a nice top up.

Merlin Equipment, who supplied the hardware, recommended Seacraft Marine in Poole. They performed a marvellous installation, very smart, with everything out of view except for the sockets. The installation looks like it was always there. If you need any electrical work done, I thoroughly recommend them. Fellow 275 owners, if you want any advice on the gear or placements, feel free to give me a call or ask here. Meanwhile, do drop in for tea and coffee if you see us plugged in!

Cheers-Ken
Ken Surplice
Ken
Jake
2016-03-02T08:34:17Z
Hi Ken
Just seen your post about shore power of 11 years ago!
Do you still have the boat? If so would it be possible to see a couple of photos of the shore power fittings, I'm about to so the same and would like to see where the sockets were put.
Regards
Jake Lyne
Jake Lyne
Gilliane Sills
2016-03-02T22:21:52Z
Dear Jake

We had shore power fitted a couple of years ago on Delphine - and our electrical engineer did a very good job too. We have two sockets in the main cabin, mounted at the aft end of each of the shelves above the lifting seat backs and one in the forepeak, on the port side, adjacent to the trotter box.

There are two things we might do differently now. We've recently acquired a kettle to use when we're on shore power, so it would be convenient to have a socket in the galley area. Sunflower has a very well positioned one. The second difference would be the location of the socket that takes the shore power cable. It's in the cockpit, adjacent to the bilge pump and just below the exit from the side drain for the locker, so when it's raining, the water gets channeled down on to the cover that rests on the plug. So far, we haven't had a problem - but we keep expecting to!

Like Ken, we do appreciate having shore power, particularly since the battery takes quite a load while running the fridge and it's good to have the fridge directly on the shore power when we can, and to give the batteries a good charge.

Best wishes

Gilliane
Delphine, Parker 275, no. 41
Ken Surplice
2016-03-02T23:01:07Z
Hi Jake,
I will happily take some photos of where the sockets are placed. Meanwhile let me describe their location and mention that I since replaced a couple of sockets with those marvellous versions that also deliver USB power within the same footprint.
Socket pair 1: top left of the cooker, above the cool box lid, mounted horizontally on the wood. Good for the kettle.
socket pair 2: in the fore peak, with the cubbyhole on the port side, mounted vertically on the leading edge. Good for my chargers.
Socket pair 3: in the port seat locker, vertical face, above the cabin floor. If you are stood facing the cooker with your right foot stretched out a bit, it would be just above your foot, horizontally on the fibre glass. Good for mains hearer and taking power to outside, eg for pressure washer.
Socket pair 4: starboard side, rear bunk, inside the lower locker, just above the bed cushions and set in the wood. This is useful for son and his charging and the fridge on mains.
I quite like these socket locations cheers! Ken
Ken
Jake
2016-03-03T10:34:05Z
Thanks Ken and Gilliane for replies.
Ken where do you have your input socket - is it also in the locker? (ps photos not necessary, your descriptions are very clear, thanks)
Regards
Jake
Jake Lyne
Ken Surplice
2016-03-03T22:43:47Z
Jake, our input socket is right out of the way. It is in the transom void, flush mounted, behind a plastic flap, facing forward. The position is port side, halfway between centre line and edge of cockpit seat, about 1/3 down. I can't remember how on earth the installer managed to place it there. It is a great use of otherwise wasted space. My guess is that if you wire the socket first then feed cables from the cockpit down into the transom, you can pick them up inside the cockpit locker. The socket must be mounted with self tapping screws or captive nuts. It has never come lose. When in use, the power receptacle flap keeps the rain off the connection. Happy wiring! Ken
Ken
DickG
2016-03-07T15:23:10Z
Last season I fitted a Ratio inlet in the same position described by Ken.

http://www.ratio.nl/en/c...16/inlets-mp16/g+c+s+i+a 

It was very easy to fit the socket, the connection to the onboard cable was done with the cable pulled out of the hole, and the socket then mounted in position. On the P275, you can look up at the inside of this location from the aft end of the quarter berth, and it is not too difficult to get a spanner/socket on any nuts inside.

Regards

Dick
Dick
Dark Star P275 No 36