sean
  • sean
  • Member Topic Starter
2006-09-11T20:31:00Z
has anyone used the mast and halyard to lift out the keel on the parker 27, if so how did it go.

sean

DGleeson
2006-09-28T09:19:00Z
I lifted the keel out of my Super Seal 26 using the jib halyard. The trick is to use a block on the halyard forward to the forestay so that the angle of pull is in-line with the way the board slides up the centerboard casing. If the angle of pull is not in-line the keel will jam against the fore or aft ends of the casing. The block controlling the angle of the halyard has to be high enough from the deck so that the end of the centerboard can clear the casing. I clipped the spinnaker halyard onto the forestay and ran the line controlling the block through it. I hoisted the spinnaker halyard to the height needed and then adjusted the fore and aft distance of the block using the rope attached to the block. I needed two people to manhandle the keel when it was raised. I believe the Parker 27 keel is heavier so you may need more people. (This information comes from much sweat and tears (no blood luckily) until I had the angle of pull and the height of the block correct.) Depending on the type of halyards and rope used you may have to make adjustment for the amount of streach when the load comes on.

Regards,

Donal

Donal Gleeson

Marvin Kowalewski
2006-09-30T16:36:00Z
I have lifted out my keel many times but I din't count on the wire strop to hold it.

Support the keel from the underside--perhaps a beach or concrete hard----then unscrew the keel box-- open and you will be able to attach to the lifting line---for safety you can attach a line to the keel pin hole.

I never did trust the wire strop because i is designed to stop the keel from falling through while in the water--so it really has little strength compare to the lifting line--since the keel is bouyed up by the water.

I change my lifting line every 3 years-- never a problem and always sprayed the keel slides and the blocks with Harken sail slide or a good waterproof lube.

I do need the measurement of the wire cable but if I can get it from the top of the keel box while the keel is pinned-- to the washer/crimp on bungee up the mast. That would be terrific.

Thanks, Marv

marv Kowalewski

Marvin Kowalewski, Ph.D