Tod Russell
2006-11-01T13:31:00Z
We have recently bought Minimosh (66) and find, in common with a few other 28 owners, that the rudder post seems very stiff inside its GRP tube, making the steering very heavy indeed. It seems that this is probably due to corrosion with age and we have heard that liberal applications of WD40 can alleviate the problem somewhat but has anyone come up with complete and lasting solution?
Tod Russell
Mike Edwards
2006-11-01T19:16:00Z
Not much help I am afraid but I have not had this problem on Aztec Seal 28 nr. 26.
Talking of rudders has anybody any knowledge of how to take it apart, without totally destroying it, to inspect the shaft and tangs and check for cracks in the welding etc.
Mike Edwards
Mike Edwards
Seal 28 "Aztec"
Neil Sinclair
2006-11-03T06:51:00Z
Tod

Having got my rudder free by working it side to side and up and down while doseing it with WD40 over a period of several weeks, it has remained free with just a squirt every winter since 2003. Perhaps its a problem with boats that don't get used very much.

My memory is slowly coming back after your phone call. I remember that I removed the bottom pintle and the tiller. I let the rudder drop down about 2 inches, so that I could create a 'pool' of WD40 around the squared off end of the shaft. When I say 'I let the rudder drop down' I really had to lever it down using a piece of wood between the rudder and the hull. I kept the WD40 pool full and worked the rudder from side to side. Eventually, after several weekends of intermittent wiggling, I found the rudder dropping under its own weight. I never saw any WD40 emerge from the bottom of the rudder tube!

Cheers! Neil
Neil Sinclair
Neil Sinclair
Seal 28/27
'Andiamo of Exe'
Tod Russell
2006-11-12T09:36:00Z
Neil,

Thanks very much for this. She is now out of the water with the hull cleaned and to cause further confusion and frustration we now find the rudder post turns completely freely in the tube!! We're going to check it anyway but we think that it may have due to collected and choking marine growth between the front of the rudder and its mounting. We'll keep you posted (so to speak!)

Tod
Tod Russell
Tod Russell
2006-11-12T09:38:00Z
Thanks Mike,

We're now out of the water and working on the rudder. If we come up with inspiration on disassembly I'll let you know.

Regards

TOD
Tod Russell