trevor skippins
2005-04-24T20:49:00Z
When racing in mixed fleets is it better to keep the keel down and sail off 986 or adjust the keel and sail off 976?

Trevor Skippins

Chris Turner
2005-04-25T07:10:00Z
My understanding of the RYA advised PY adjustments due to keel configurations is that if you have the POTENTIAL to lift your keel then you MUST race on 976.

Of course your club may be at liberty to allow the variation you mention.

If so, my feeling is that with the keel down, off the wind, the boat IS probably slowed by at least the ca.1% advantage you would be getting. So it would entirely depend on the length (in terms of time)of the downwind leg as a proportion of the whole race to make the change worthwhile.

However, in my experience of racing, it is not always advisable to raise the keel significantly in a blow downwind ... in such circumstances you would get a huge advantage at 986.

I am surprised that you are allowed the option.

Chris Turner

Geoff Harwood
2005-04-27T20:17:00Z
I think the biggest advantage of the lifting keel in racing would be the option to pull it up to skoot over things like Ryde Sands and cut off miles! Or more likely to let you chance your arm in the knowledge you can get off and press on!

That's worth a lot more than 1% on the RIOW!

Geoff

Geoff Harwood

trevor skippins
2005-06-24T22:20:00Z
Thanks for you advice however my local club now insist on keels being kept down whilst racing.I've done this for the spring series,sailing off 986. I feel that this is the best option unless running in light winds especially against the tide

Trevor Skippins