jafrench
2007-01-13T10:20:29Z
Does anybody have any suggestions to reduce erorsion when lying to a drying mooring?

I find that antifoul is removed during the season on the bottom of the hull between the back of the keel and the skeg due to contact with the mud as she grounds with each tide.

I've heard of other Superseal's slinging a warp under the hull from astern of amidships to act as a barrier to reduce erosion, and wondered if anybody had any specific suggestions?

Thanks

John

Menna

Chris Turner
2007-01-13T12:06:43Z
John, I don't know if this is of any use ...but my 26, Elsa, dries in mud almost every tide. I never had any serious problem with erosion for the many years that I used International Micron Antifouling and then subsequently the much cheaper Plastimo equivalent.

Last year however I couldn't get the Plastimo one and was recommended Teamac eroding paint. The Teamac is so soft by comparison that serious erosion has taken place this last season. It does leave less to scrape off and I have had problems with serious build up of paint with the previous two types .. so, inevitably you win some and lose some .... but it could be that you need to find a more robust paint?

I would be interested in your comments as I may have to go back to the very expensive Micron to solve the problem myself.

Chris.

jafrench
2007-01-13T14:29:25Z
Hi Chris

I've used International Interspeed Ultra for the last 3 seasons - this is a "High Strength Hard Antifouling with Teflon" according to the tin!

It may certainly be worth me trying the Micron - I'd shirked at the price in the past but if it solves the problem....do you have to scrape and re-antifoul every season?

It will be interesting if any other owners have similar experiences.

John.

Chris Turner
2007-01-13T16:05:22Z
Hi John, If you have been using hard type antifouling (and it still rubs off) I would be surprised if the Micron would be any better. It looks as though your mud is more abrasive than our gloop at Wootton Creek.

You might have to go down a different line.

I don't remove all the old paint every year ... far from it ... and Elsa is due for a serious scrape of the moon craters it now has.

Good luck with your trials. Hopefully someone else will have some better ideas.

Chris.