Ola
  • Ola
  • Member Topic Starter
2008-11-17T21:59:31Z
Hi,
This summer I bought what is probably the only Parker 27 in Sweden. The previous owner told me that something that might be a good idea to do was to remove the metal frame around where the keel comes out and fill up with silicone underneath.

Is there anyone who has done this operation?

Regards,
Ola

Ola
P27 / 144
John Williams
2008-11-20T13:17:02Z
Hi Ola

I don't know about the issue you ask but welcome to the forum.

Where abouts are you in Sweden?

John Williams
275/60 CRYSTAL
John Williams
GWENLLI
Beneteau 323
Ola
  • Ola
  • Member Topic Starter
2008-11-21T14:34:15Z
Hi John,
Thank you. I'm in Göteborg on the west coast.

I have asked Parker the same question and it looks like they suggest to fill any gaps between the keel box and the steel ballast with epoxy. Working from the inside if I understand correctly.

Ola
P27 no 144

Ola
P27 / 144
sean
2008-11-22T08:56:38Z
Hi Ola,
Where exactly are the gaps you are referring to, do you mean the cabin floor where there may be gaps between the steel slab and the resin that is used to hold the slab in place.
Reason i ask is, my P27 has gaps around the slab where the difference in expansion rate of steel to the polyester resin has left gaps in a few areas so i was planning on filling these up with resin.
Has anyone else had this problem.
Ola
  • Ola
  • Member Topic Starter
2008-11-22T18:58:44Z
Hi,
Well, I actually don´t know if there are any gaps. The operation I described in my original post was suggested to me by the previous owner. As I understood him this was a preventive maintenance, not a solution to an existing problem. But on some occasions there has been a small amount of water in the head right by the keelbox. I am not entirely sure if it is leaking from above or below though.

I sent a mail to Parker describing the operation suggested to me and also asked if the water might be a result of that this maintenance had not been carried out. The answer I got was that I should fill any gaps between the slab and the keel box with epoxy.

I have recently put my boat on shore for the winter so I will investigate further to see if there are any gaps.

Regards,
Ola

Ola
P27 / 144
sean
2008-11-23T08:15:32Z
Surely if there is water leaking in from the keel box, it can only mean the hull to keel box integrity has been compromised and cracked, sounds to me like you need someone qualified to look at it, if it is still in seawater the easiest way to tell where it has come from is by tasting to see if it is fresh or salt water.

My case is a lot different to yours, sorry i got a bit confused, my boat just has a bit of the filler cracking away from the slab and is purely cosmetic.

Hope you get it sorted
chris nichols
2008-11-23T22:15:27Z
hi Ola,
for what its worth my P27 had a leaky foot pump to the wash hand basin and a crack in the sea water feed to the wc basin in the heads which meant the area always looked damp. All were fixed and now dry.
Might also be worth checking the drain hole under the wash hand basin which drains into the keel box half way up
best of luck
Chris
sean
2008-11-24T20:46:43Z
Chris,

just out of interest has your boat had the problem with the filler cracking away from the edges of the slab
chris nichols
2008-11-24T23:01:42Z
Hi Sean,
When I bought the boat last year there was rust around the edge of the slab but no cracks of any size, and certainly no loss of filler or anything like that, so I reapplied Inter Protect to the cast iron but this didnt stick too well due to the adhesive residues used on the original cork tile. As a result I used a wire wheel and scotchbrite type angle grinder wheel to clean the cast iron, reapplied interprotect then flowcoated the lot from end to end and edge to edge. Seems to have lasted so far with a few minor rust stains appearing in odd places around the galley end. The whole floor is covered with polyprop carpet held with felt grip tape on the flowcoat
Chris