DGleeson
2004-11-16T17:32:00Z
I have just purchased a Super Seal 26 (number 36)and have found that my Yamaha 9.9 2 stroke will not fit into the well. I'm not keen on modifying the well although I have spoken to someone who has done so successfully.
I would be grateful if anyone who has purchased an outboard for a Super Seal 26 in the last 2 years would post the make and model details to the BBS or email me the details.

How much of a benefit is gained from inserting the well plug when sailing?

Regards,
Donal Gleeson
Donal Gleeson
Chris Turner
2004-11-16T17:33:00Z
Donal, I have only just looked at the bulletin board (I had forgotten that it is not included in the latest news posting on the website home page). I have had the same problem with finding new (particularly 4-stroke) engines that would fit. None of the current 4-stroke 8hp and upwards engines will fit without modification. Only the new style 6hp single cylinder 4-strokes will fit ie. Merc, Mariner, Tohatsu. You might feel these are not powerful enough and, being single cylinder, too prone to vibration. I still run an 8hp Merc two stroke, same as current model in size. Mariner ditto. It is quite powerful enough and gives 5 kt cruising but uses a lot of fuel. Full chat worst1gal per hour ... but cruising, up to 2 hr per gal. However, members will tell you that I have been saying for the last twenty years that I would like to fit a diesel!!! Let me know if you need any more info.
Chris.
Chris Turner
Chris Turner
2004-11-16T17:33:00Z
Donal, it's difficult to quantify the effect of leaving the engine down or puting the 'plug' in the hole. The RYA Portsmouth Yardstick scheme allows a further 40 points for a three bladed prop, so with a base number of 976, this suggests a loss of about 4 per cent in speed. When I changed from a standard shaft engine (which allows you to stand the engine on the 'plug' in it's upright position) to the longshaft it became a problem as to where to put the engine when racing. I asked our club if I could race with the engine down and claim the extra 40.
In my experience it doesn't pay off. You not only have the extra drag of the three blades but the open hole causes drag as well.
The longshaft engine has the advantage that the main engine head and cowling is clear of the narrower part of the well and allows the engine to be turned at a much greater angle. This can assist sharp turns, particularly in reverse.
The alternative, if using the longshaft, is to manufacture a new 'plug' which would extend down over the 4 inches or so that sticks out below the hull when the engine is in it's 'parked up' position. In that position the top is just under the tiller.
I've been meaning to do this for years but not got around to it as racing is becoming less and less of a priority these days! Chris.
Chris Turner