frank_marsden
2004-11-17T16:33:00Z
The Superseal I bought this year is set up with moderate tension on the cap shrouds and lowers that have much less, so that the leeward lower goes slack in wind well below F3.

Is this satisfactory.

Frank Marsden

Ss 26/84 "Mano Amica"

Frank Marsden

Phil L
Frank,

I think the usual advice for fractional rig is that the rig should be tensioned enough to give a few inches (half mast thickbess for & aft perhaps) pre-bend. This is then held in check by the lowers, whilst also ensuring a straight mast (athwartships) when sighted up the mast groove. This probably sounds drastic, but this bending of the mast is important to prevent the mast bowing (panting) forwards in a chop when mainsail is not set - potentially resulting in mast collapse!

I know that adequate tension was crucial to windward performance with a Seal 22.

I have been advised that door to heads on Super seals will jam when rig is too slack or too tight - could be a useful indicator (so long as you're outside)!!!

I think Kemp sails have a leaflet on this - possibly info on their website. I think there may also be basic info in S26 handbook (mine's on board at moment).

Phil.

Phil Longhurst

frank_marsden
Phil,

Thank you,

I have about half a chord bend, with the backstay lightly tensioned.

I'll check out with Rob Kemp, as I have bought sails from him in the past, and I will soon be in need of a new main.

As the boom has been lowered by 350mm on my boat, I am considering a bigger main and only having a 95% blade jib; we sail shorthanded.

Frank

Frank Marsden

Phil L
2004-11-17T16:34:00Z
Frank,

I think that the blade jib may be an excellent idea to really feel in control when beating up estuaries. The full genoa involves too much ropework to be enjoyable and slick when family sailing and I must try lashing the sheets to the clew instead of bowlines as they often snag the shrouds. My Seal 22 was finally tamed with this and a blade jib - with no loss of upwind performance and much better visibility and control. Quicker/easier to furl too.

Good luck.

Phil.

Phil Longhurst

frank_marsden
2004-11-17T16:34:00Z
Phil,

I use a continuous, i.e. single jibsheet of 8mm braid on braid.

This does make tacking easier, but you need caloused palms.

Frank

Frank Marsden

2004-11-22T19:40:00Z
I have recently been dismasted and the concensus was that I had too much rig tension with the caps set to something between 25 - 30% of max breaking load for 6mm wire. It appears that the best advice would be 20% of breaking strain with an absolute max of 25%. I may also have had too much backstay tension. I had difficulty finding a measurable definition of maximum backstay. Mast bend is probably the limit for a fractional rig with swept back spreaders of either 2% of the fortriangle height or 1.5 x mast depth.

I have found Ivar Dedekam's book Sail and Rig tuning from Fernhurst an excellant book with clear diagrams and useful set up tips.

SS 26/89 Tango

Richard Baldwin

frank_marsden
2004-11-25T08:23:00Z

Frank Marsden

frank_marsden
2004-11-25T08:25:00Z
Richard,

Any idea of the age of the rigging?

Frank Marsden

Frank Marsden