Neil Sinclair
2004-11-17T15:30:00Z
I have sailed Andiamo (a Mk 1 Seal 28) for two years, now. I have found her an excellent cruising yacht in many ways - not least, the shallow draft, ability to sail upright and the copious and comfortable accommodation. I have one complaint, though. This is the sore arm you get after steering for any length of time. My Autohelm 2000 is also showing signs of distress, and that is a problem, since out of my family only it and myself are prepared to take the helm. The boat is not imbalanced, I have spent some time in finding the correct mast position and rake and there is a slight tiller offset to weather which you can see when sailing to windward, but the steering is still very heavy all the time, and you can't feel any weather pull in the tiller. There doesn't seem to be any undue friction in the rudder shaft when the boat is ashore. Is this a problem associated with the Mk 1 boats, or is it common with the Mk II's with their slightly deeper ballast, smaller drop keel and fixed rudder and the 850's with their transom rudders? I would be interested to know how others are getting on with steering their 28's and whether there is anything I can do to improve the heavy steering.

Neil S

Neil Sinclair
Neil Sinclair
Seal 28/27
'Andiamo of Exe'
Mike Edwards
2004-11-17T15:30:00Z
I wouldn't say my steering on Aztec (no26) was heavy, except when the boat is hard pressed in say a F5 or above. This is when the boat starts to heal and weather helm starts, requiring me to heave on the tiller and some times pull it up into my chest(windward on a F6).
Most of the time I consider the boat to be well balanced with a fairly neutral rudder.
I was told if your sails are old and not tensioned flat in heavy weather then the increased draft in the sail can lead to this sort of thing happening.
Is the rudder blade dropping down fully.
Do you use a reefed jenoa in strong winds, I have found mine works better with a no 1 jib which is cut higher so the air flows between through the slot between the sails and not under the boom. this helps the drive and reduces the heal.

Is your problem asociated with weather helm or lea helm.

Mike

Mike edwards
Mike Edwards
Seal 28 "Aztec"
Neil Sinclair
2004-11-17T15:31:00Z
Many thanks for your reply, Mike.

Andiamo is No. 27, so she should be very similar to your own boat. I find the helm generally heavy, both under sail and power. It's difficult to get others in the family to steer, and the Autohelm also appears to struggle. I don't think there is undue friction in the rudder stock, but it is difficult to tell with the boat afloat. She has had the re-inforcing treatment at the bottom of the skeg, so perhaps the shaft is out of alignment. She was lifted out at the weekend, so I will be able to check more closely, now.

I can tell she has a little weather helm because there are a few degrees difference in the tiller position when changing tack, but you can't feel any pull in the tiller.

I also like to set the working jib in stronger winds, and when sailing single-handed. I fitted the old hank-on sail with small mainsail bullets and send it up on the roller headsail foil. It is much easier to winch in and see around. You can even roll it away!

Cheers for now! Neil
Neil Sinclair
Neil Sinclair
Seal 28/27
'Andiamo of Exe'