Phil Hanley
2004-11-17T16:44:00Z
The swivel that goes up and down the foil on my Rorostay system has given up the ghost - it looks like both sets of bearings have broken.

Is this an easy job to fix? Are spare parts available?

As yet the mast is still up - will waiting until later in the year to rectify anyway.

I suspect the system is original, and so about 13 years old. So it is about time the forestay was replaced as well. How that is done does not look at all obvious.......

With both of these problems, perhaps I should bite the bullet and fit a new Plastimo?

Phil Hanley

Phil Hanley

Phil L
2004-11-17T16:44:00Z
Try contacting the guys who produce Rotostay. I have had copious free advice and tips on dismantling & maintenance in recent years and feel their recent products are basic, but much better engineered and durable than some competitors like the Hood I have now.

http://www.ybw.com/cgi-b...view=collapsed&sb=5&o=93  and search on furling etc.

Rotomarine Limited, Unit 17 Haslar Marina, Haslar Road, Gosport Hants PO12

1NU United Kingdom Tel: +44 (0)2392 583633

Best of luck,

Phil.

Phil Longhurst

frank_marsden
2004-11-17T16:45:00Z
Phil

Firstly, are you sure that the jib furler is a 'Rotostay'?

I recently bought and (thankfully) sold a Trapper 500 with a Rotostay furler. On having the mast raised I discovered that the furler was siezed solid. The only sign of access to the unit was two holes on the lower face to take a pin wrench, which I had to have specially made. On using this water came out and the system freed itself.

I susequently found out that the Rotostay unit is integral with the forestay and both have to be replaced, at a cost of c.£850, and that the one on this Trapper was about ten years or more old.

If you would like the wrench I can post it to you,(if I can find it) from memory the holes are on about 52mm pcd and 4mm dia

There were no marking on the furler, and I discovered that it was a 'Rotostay' only by visiting a number of stands at last year's Sothampton boat show

Hope this helps

Frank Marsden

Now a delighted Superseal sailor

F Marsden

Phil Hanley
Thanks for that.

It says Rotostay on the unit (Rotostay FS on the furling drum).

I see that Rotostay do part exchange, but this still comes out more that the Plastimo (but a lot less than £850), which does seem to be OK even if it is partly made of plastic.....

Thanks for the offer re wrench, but this unit does have a standard allen key which I can fiddle with once the mast is down.

It certainly is not a matter of freeing up - the various parts have moved a bit apart, and I can clearly see the damaged bearing races.

Phil Hanley.

Phil Hanley

frank_marsden
Phil,

I had a Plastimo 608s on my Hustler 25.5. Was completely satisfactory

Frank

F Marsden

2004-11-17T16:46:00Z
On my boat, 27,5 , number 22, is a Rotostay FS60/70 fitted with delrin washer to the lower spar connector drum. With a halliard slider swivel with delrin ball bearings. Last year the inner forestay was renewed with no problems at the local shop. Just use the same kind of swaged lower stud end swaged upper eye terminal. Only the forestay was not PVC coated. I would like this all a little more heavy but because of the inner drumsize is not possible.

Sjoerd Voerman

Sjoerd Voerman

Neil Sinclair
2004-11-30T15:26:00Z
Phil

Rotomarine are very helpful and will supply spares. see their website at www.rotomarine.co.uk . My rotostay is a model E and it all comes apart very easily.

Neil

Neil Sinclair

Neil Sinclair

Seal 28/27

'Andiamo of Exe'

Phil Hanley
2005-02-19T12:10:00Z
Thanks for the various bits of advice.

In the end I went to our local riggers (TS in Maldon) and the bearings have been replaced at little cost. Luckily there was no further problem.

I also had the forestay replaced (probably original.......so sensible and keeps the insurance people happy) whilst the thing was being looked at.

Phil Hanley.

Phil Hanley